Memorable stuff from your formative years

Postmen used to wear a uniform, including a shiny-peaked forage cap. Today it seems that scruff order and baggy shorts make up today's working dress. A reflection of the service?
I'd be interested to know how the load carried by walking posties has changed between then and now. I do know that the modern postie has a very tight schedule, and (especially since 80% or so of snail mail is junk mail) I'd be less than best pleased if I were Postman Pat and obliged to sweat my cods off while hastening about the postcodes in black oxfords and a retro barathea worksuit! :-D

Postmen used to wear a uniform, including a shiny-peaked forage cap. Today it seems that scruff order and baggy shorts make up today's working dress. A reflection of the service?
In the Fifties/sixties there were lots of people who wore that type of kit ie bus drivers, milk men, meter readers. et al

I'll just leave this here ... I had a happy childhood ... being born during WW2 I grew up in spartan times but I fortunately never experienced poverty such as in this film ...

... the only bright spots in the film are the ways the young lads and lasses at school enjoyed themselves at play ... but my gosh people talk about modern day poverty ... do they know the meaning of real poverty ?

ETA .... I can relate to some of the scenes depicted .

Last edited:
Noticing in the newspaper TV schedule that there was a Dennis Potter on on BBC2 that night at 21.30.
21.25 - start yawning a bit & make your excuses to go up to your room & quietly tune in on your portable.
Guaranteed nudity or lacey webbing in one of his dramas.
Lipstick on Your Collar seems to spring to mind. That blonde would’ve had it.

Blokes under 45 probably won’t know what I mean.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know how the load carried by walking posties has changed between then and now. I do know that the modern postie has a very tight schedule, and (especially since 80% or so of snail mail is junk mail) I'd be less than best pleased if I were Postman Pat and obliged to sweat my cods off while hastening about the postcodes in black oxfords and a retro barathea worksuit! :-D

An interesting question. I'd guess not much difference - on-line shopping in jiffy bags replacing the traditional items, bills etc.

Chef

LE
Telephone directories. The London area ran to about five volumes plus a yellow pages. We had a telephone table with a compartment to hold the massive tomes.

Also the old exchange names, Speedwell, Whitehall etc.

Noticing in the newspaper TV schedule that there was a Dennis Potter on on BBC2 that night at 21.30.
21.25 - start yawning a bit & make your excuses to go up to your room & quietly tune in on your portable.
Guaranteed nudity or lacey webbing in one of his dramas.
Lipstick on Your Collar seems to spring to mind. That blonde would’ve had it.

Blokes over 45 probably won’t know what I mean.

My bold and if you were lucky & took a girl to the pictures (back row in corner away from aisle and nosy usherettes) you got to try your luck running your hand up her leg to find this ...

1618226224502.png

The first time I encountered warm flesh at top of stocking I literally came in my pants, .... well her hand actually, she had my flies open giving me a hand job, I was 19 she was 22!!
Happy days!!

TamH70

MIA
My bold and if you were lucky & took a girl to the pictures (back row in corner away from aisle and nosy usherettes) you got to try your luck running your hand up her leg to find this ...

View attachment 564701

The first time I encountered warm flesh at top of stocking I literally came in my pants, .... well her hand actually, she had my flies open giving me a hand job, I was 19 she was 22!!
Happy days!!

Fail. Not navigating the panties/suspender-belt interface correctly. She's going to have trouble going for a wee during the interval.

Telephone directories. The London area ran to about five volumes plus a yellow pages. We had a telephone table with a compartment to hold the massive tomes.

Also the old exchange names, Speedwell, Whitehall etc.

Oh yes, IIRC they split the alphabet, A-to-whatever and so on. Different coloured covers as well. Phone boxes had them mounted in a row of hinged holders - swing up the one you wanted.

The old exchange names are still there within the dialling code. A good game for a quiet night!

View attachment 564701

Happy days!!

aka "The Promised Land"

TamH70

MIA
Oh yes, IIRC they split the alphabet, A-to-whatever and so on. Different coloured covers as well. Phone boxes had them mounted in a row of hinged holders - swing up the one you wanted.

The old exchange names are still there within the dialling code. A good game for a quiet night!
The exchange names did not always translate across letters to numbers. For example, our exchange was Arnold (North Wembley area). It became 904 which was W.O.G. in letter terms. Rather prescient...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads