Memorable stuff from your formative years

And here is the actual footage
1615256218168.png

Not a good image but the best I could do.

Further information found.

When Margaret Thatcher entered Downing Street in 1979 after her election victory, she was driven in a 1972 model. It was during Thatcher's eleven-year tenure that the P5 was eventually phased out as a Prime-Ministerial car, in favour of the Jaguar XJ.

Last edited:

Arse Gravy

War Hero
The corner shop close to my Nan's house in deepest, darkest Northamptonshire used to sell single a Woodbine and a match for 10p no matter what age you were.

It was an emporium of aromas as it used to sell everything from preserved meats to engine oil. It all changed when Len, the shopkeeper, died and it was taken over by Asians but the smells remained.

riksavage

Old-Salt
View attachment 82003

View attachment 82005

I can't find a photo, but there was a sweet/chocolate-type thing called a Knickerbocker Glory - a tiny plastic cup with the most gorgeous chocolaty thing inside. It came with a little spoon on the side which you had to snap off.

The spoon was too wide to reach in to the bottom of the cup so you always wasted quite a bit.

And a bit later...

View attachment 82019 View attachment 82020
Forgot to mention a box of tissues

Lovely cars. My old man had one of those - he loved it. They certainly were built like tanks. IIRC the chassis alone weight about 1.5 tons.

My dad pulled up at a set of traffic lights in the 70s and he and my mum felt a slight bump. Dad got out and found that someone had driven into the back of him. I think it was a Triumph or some other lightweight sports car.

When my dad pulled his Rover forwards he found a small dent in the steel rear bumper, while the front bumper, grill and other assorted bits of the other car fell off... :)

Edited to add that I remember that car from the late 60s/early 70s so it may have been one of the later Rover models - the 110 series seems to ring a bell.
Similarly, I had a ‘56 Humber Hawk in 1971, when based at RAAF Laverton (a “Singlie’s hand-me-down”), and had occasion to stop at the Coburg railway crossing gates as they were closing. D1ck Head, showing off with a couple of mates in his brand new ‘71 Monaro, despite having quickly learned where the loud pedal was, had not quite understood the correlation between rain-slick city roads, tramlines, and clutch-depressed panic braking. He ended up tail facing the footpath, with him looking out the driver’s side window, across the rear parcel shelf of my Humber, atmy bemused expression in the rearview mirror. When his lovely new Monaro was skull-dragged, amid much hilarity, off my rear bumper, he had gained a perfect impression from RH side front quarter panel to just aft of the driver’s side door, of said Humber rear bumper, including over-riders. Took a bit of chrome off the bumper, the 4rse’ole did. I really loved that ol’ cruiser.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
P5B, istr.

Edit; Here-

View attachment 555699
Aged 18-19 I worked as barman at Hylton Castle Working Men's Club. One afternoon, the steward threw a bunch of car keys at me. "The Rover's blocking the entrance to the cellar and the draymen can't get in. Go and move it for me."

I moved it about five yards. Very carefully. Just say it felt more like driving a Saracen than a CVR(T). But I'm sure it was a dream over any distance.

Aged 18-19 I worked as barman at Hylton Castle Working Men's Club. One afternoon, the steward threw a bunch of car keys at me. "The Rover's blocking the entrance to the cellar and the draymen can't get in. Go and move it for me."

I moved it about five yards. Very carefully. Just say it felt more like driving a Saracen than a CVR(T). But I'm sure it was a dream over any distance.

.... as I posted earlier " built like a Tank " ... the vehicle had a long wheel base and large diameter wheels / tyres ... a very smooth drive ... to put it mildly the upholstery was plush .

Last edited:
Lovely cars. My old man had one of those - he loved it. They certainly were built like tanks. IIRC the chassis alone weight about 1.5 tons....
The P4 series, I'm pretty sure, were the last of the Rovers with a full chassis. Mate of mine took one banger racing some years ago, he won the "Demolition Derby" at three meetings with it, before it gave in! As he said, "You couldn't kill un with a crowbar"

P5B, istr.

Edit; Here-

View attachment 555699
A 'barge' of a car !

When I arrived in NI, the GOC had one...armoured glass etc,with a small steering wheel,it rolled all over the place at any sort of high speed.

Within a week, his real armoured car was re-appropriated from the CLF...non-black,proper armour, a larger than normal engine that, went around corners like it was on rails and, civilised as well and...was a Ford ! :cool:

Last edited:
Had an old P6 3500 many years ago. Loved the response when I stomped on the go pedal. The bonnet would rise up and the car would leap forward. Ran it into the ground then sold it for spares.

A guy I knew back in the early eighties had a Rover P5 Coupe.

Just like this. BRG with cream leather interior.

1615284661107.png

Still, to me, one of the best looking saloon cars ever built.

RedDinger

War Hero
Sherbet dip, loved that stuff, stopped it because if you drank 16 million tons of it you might have got cancer ffs Glasgow based company If I remember
Its not banned. You can still buy it in various guises.

Similarly, I had a ‘56 Humber Hawk in 1971, when based at RAAF Laverton (a “Singlie’s hand-me-down”), and had occasion to stop at the Coburg railway crossing gates as they were closing. D1ck Head, showing off with a couple of mates in his brand new ‘71 Monaro, despite having quickly learned where the loud pedal was, had not quite understood the correlation between rain-slick city roads, tramlines, and clutch-depressed panic braking. He ended up tail facing the footpath, with him looking out the driver’s side window, across the rear parcel shelf of my Humber, atmy bemused expression in the rearview mirror. When his lovely new Monaro was skull-dragged, amid much hilarity, off my rear bumper, he had gained a perfect impression from RH side front quarter panel to just aft of the driver’s side door, of said Humber rear bumper, including over-riders. Took a bit of chrome off the bumper, the 4rse’ole did. I really loved that ol’ cruiser.
A friend of mine had a Humber Imperial automatic. Great car but drank more than Oliver Reed and Peter O'Toole on an all year binge. Eventually had to sell. A few weeks after selling went into a local scrappies and came across a brand new manual gearbox still in it's packing crate.. Inconsolable!!!!!.

A guy I knew back in the early eighties had a Rover P5 Coupe.

Just like this. BRG with cream leather interior.

View attachment 555753

Still, to me, one of the best looking saloon cars ever built.
My first car, was one it was the same age as me, and was bought from a workmate of my dad, and was 2 tone Green. My mates called it the Anthill Mob.

A mate had a P5 & a P6 3500 V8.

Both lovely cars to ride in. You just seem to waft along the road.

My first car, was one it was the same age as me, and was bought from a workmate of my dad, and was 2 tone Green. My mates called it the Anthill Mob.
2-tone green?

So was my very first car.

10 years old, 1600cc, automatic gearbox, leather seats, walnut fascia, and a mere 30,000 miles on the clock* when I paid £300 for it in 1976.

It looked like this (but VRN LLC 780D):

1eb56cffa4f3.jpg

* My best mate's elderly Uncle owned it. At 3,000 miles a year, he was probably only using to get to church and back once a week. Which probably explains why the cylinder head was a tad warped, and I needed it shaved down, and a new head gasket within a year.

Is that a Morris Oxford or an Austin Cambridge?

I loved two tone cars. Light/dark blue. light/dark green, coffee and cream etc.

I'm surprised that any of us actually made it to adulthood.
If it wasn't the E numbers, sugar and chemicals in the food and especially the sweets/desserts, the deadly weapons that were somehow classed as toys back then and would get you arrested now, it was things like this, on which we quite happily hurled ourselves around at insane speeds, making jumps from building site hard board that would make Evel Knieval think twice, and using brick walls as brakes.

4af71ab310bf3cf52b82695fa85f2e22.jpg

I think most of us can say that our childhoods would be the stuff of nightmares for todays Health and Safety Offcers.

I'm surprised that any of us actually made it to adulthood.
If it wasn't the E numbers, sugar and chemicals in the food and especially the sweets/desserts, the deadly weapons that were somehow classed as toys back then and would get you arrested now, it was things like this, on which we quite happily hurled ourselves around at insane speeds, making jumps from building site hard board that would make Evel Knieval think twice, and using brick walls as brakes.

View attachment 555918

I think most of us can say that our childhoods would be the stuff of nightmares for todays Health and Safety Offcers.
Didn't feel the need for those when I were a lad.

We had unexploded German ordnance for entertainment.

Skateboarding!?

Fookin' lightweights.

Start of the slippery slope to woke fookin' millennials . .

Latest Threads