Memorable stuff from your formative years

Memory jog:- slightly off thread. The head engineer at the Kiddeminster sugar beet processing factory was a Mr Kale.
Bloody 'ell! Old curly, is he still about?

Ooh, Cleckheaton's finest! Yes please!!

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds
Another piece of Cleckheaton iron. Pater used it in reliability trials, with mater on the flapper pad!

Attachments

• rsz_loads_of_bikes_012.jpg
    rsz_loads_of_bikes_012.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 31
Wasn't that the freewheel control? Nothing to do with the accelerator.
View attachment 555352
You are absolutely correct ... my error ... but that photograph has just demonstrated the angular design of the Gear Stick ... certainly not stubby nor straight .... another oddity I seem to remember , hopefully correctly , was that the handbrake was on the RHS of the driver .

Last edited:

Choux Bun

Clanker
We would cycle down to a place called Welbeck abbey to collect conkers, pannier
bags each side of the rear wheel, behind the seat and on the handle bars,
Panniers full, head back home, it took an age to get back,
Size the conkers and sell them

A friend and I had a handcart, to deliver groceries and fetch and carry for people,
all to make a few bob.

Catch the free miners bus to the next village to go swimming.

Bull roaring,
Three stories terraced housing, brain pipes from ground to roof,
stuff as many drain pipes possible with newspaper using a length of stiff
wire, then light them all at once, they made a hell of a noise if done in the evening,
hence, the name :)
When was this? Was the Welbeck you refer to rebranded as Meden Vale?

anglo

LE
When was this? Was the Welbeck you refer to rebranded as Meden Vale?
I don't know if the names changed, I have just googled "Welbeck Abbey, Worksop"
it appears the name is still Welbeck Abbey,
I first started going to the Abbey in 1952/3,
Going on Google, to the Abbey took me back in time, looks the same.

I remember the original pac-a-mac raincoat. Grey waterproof plastic, with buttonholes that usually split after a few uses.
Tried to find a photo, but no luck.

Edit: It was the smell of the vinyl that I can still remember
in the early episodes of " Last of the Summer Wine " ... currently being broadcast on the Drama Channel early evening Cleggie , played by Peter Sallis , sports a one ... even in fine weather .

Choux Bun

Clanker
I don't know if the names changed, I have just googled "Welbeck Abbey, Worksop"
it appears the name is still Welbeck Abbey,
I first started going to the Abbey in 1952/3,
Going on Google, to the Abbey took me back in time, looks the same.
Welbeck Abbey remains. The mining village of Welbeck (Notts) was renamed Meden Vale. You were in the area way before I was born but thanks for the response.

You are absolutely correct ... my error ... but that photograph has just demonstrated the angular design of the Gear Stick ... certainly not stubby nor straight .... another oddity I seem to remember , hopefully correctly , was that the handbrake was on the RHS of the driver .

Yes, I think the earlier models had a straight stick, later models had the proper "umbrella" grip. All rod operated. through to the rear drums.

I remember the original pac-a-mac raincoat. Grey waterproof plastic, with buttonholes that usually split after a few uses.
Tried to find a photo, but no luck.

Edit: It was the smell of the vinyl that I can still remember

Found one in the back of the garage only the other day! It must have come out of one of my dad's cars a couple of dozen years ago. I'll get some photos. soon as I can.

Friend of mine had a Rover 75 .... lovely car ... built like a Tank ... it too had freewheel .... and a manually adjusted accelerator control mounted by the steering wheel ...

View attachment 554910

Lovely cars. My old man had one of those - he loved it. They certainly were built like tanks. IIRC the chassis alone weight about 1.5 tons.

My dad pulled up at a set of traffic lights in the 70s and he and my mum felt a slight bump. Dad got out and found that someone had driven into the back of him. I think it was a Triumph or some other lightweight sports car.

When my dad pulled his Rover forwards he found a small dent in the steel rear bumper, while the front bumper, grill and other assorted bits of the other car fell off... :)

Edited to add that I remember that car from the late 60s/early 70s so it may have been one of the later Rover models - the 110 series seems to ring a bell.

Last edited:
Found one in the back of the garage only the other day! It must have come out of one of my dad's cars a couple of dozen years ago. I'll get some photos. soon as I can.
News flash" The 24 year search for the croydon park mac flasher has come to an end. A Mr Solomon88: has admitted that his father was guilty of the crimes that galvanized the nation. police 5 presenter Shaw Taylor said" At long last the perpetrator can now be brought to justice"

News flash" The 24 year search for the croydon park mac flasher has come to an end A Mr Solomon88: has admitted that his father was guilty of the crimes that galvanized the nation. police 5 presenter Shaw Taylor said" At long last the perpetrator can now be brought to justice"

That was my brother, honestly.

Friend of mine had a Rover 75 .... lovely car ... built like a Tank ... it too had freewheel .... and a manually adjusted accelerator control mounted by the steering wheel ...

View attachment 554910
I recall watching Maggie Thatcher arriving in Downing Street after winning the election in 1979, she pulled up in a very impressive, if somewhat outdated, black car. Asking someone who knew I was told it was a Rover, which surprised me as Rovers to me had always been those rather angular, space-age cars from the late 1960s that were then replaced by the fantastic looking (they were absolutely dreadful when it came to build quality) Rover 3500 SD1s.

Anyone remember what was the model of Rover she arrived in? Presumably it belonged to Denis, as you could just see him tootling off to the golf club in it.

I recall watching Maggie Thatcher arriving in Downing Street after winning the election in 1979, she pulled up in a very impressive, if somewhat outdated, black car. Asking someone who knew I was told it was a Rover, which surprised me as Rovers to me had always been those rather angular, space-age cars from the late 1960s that were then replaced by the fantastic looking (they were absolutely dreadful when it came to build quality) Rover 3500 SD1s.

Anyone remember what was the model of Rover she arrived in? Presumably it belonged to Denis, as you could just see him tootling off to the golf club in it.

P5B, istr.

Edit; Here-

4FCFD714-56F6-4C4E-A14B-2925DAC9FE8E.jpeg

Latest Threads