Memorable stuff from your formative years

Attachments

• 1950s-Lucozade-bottle-with-label-lid-Lucozade-FGC-_1.jpg
    1950s-Lucozade-bottle-with-label-lid-Lucozade-FGC-_1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 17

mogreby

Old-Salt
We used to get Tang (several flavours) that came in jars and tins in Oman. It was powdered but tasted quite good.
Tang in Jordan and Lebanon too.

Coca Cola banned in most of the Near and Middle East as it is sold in Israel. Ask for a Coke and you nearly always get Pepsi or a local variant.

Tang in Jordan and Lebanon too.

Coca Cola banned in most of the Near and Middle East as it is sold in Israel. Ask for a Coke and you nearly always get Pepsi or a local variant.
Hence 'Pepsi Pissup' for a cake and soft drinks celebration with your local colleagues.

HE117

LE
That looks like a cork bung and even I am not that old. This is the thing I vaguely remember.
No.. the screw top stoppers were made from a black hard material known at the time as "composition" They were moulded and seemed to last forever. They seemed to be a rubber like material with some sort of gritty loading to make them rigid. They got boiled in washing soda when they came back to the factory, rinsed in more boiling water, and then dumped in wire trays to dry out..

The red rings were made from the same rubber as rubber tubing. They were quite hard when new and were dumped in a bucket of boiling water to soften. The bottling line would reject stoppers that had missing or worn rings, and it was my job to re-ring them. There was a tool a bit like a reloading press bolted to a bench at the back of the factory with four vertical rods which came through a circular die. You put a rubber ring on the ends of the rods and then pulled the lever which drew the rods through the die, stretching the ring until it was wide enough to poke the end of the stopper through it. You then put your palm down on the top of the stopper and pulled the lever fully back, The rods disappeared into the die, snapping the ring onto the stopper, which was then removed and got thrown into the boiling soda tank with the old stoppers..

2/6 for a morning's graft! (plus benefits - a mutton pie at lunchtime from the Pleasance butcher and as much pop as I could drink..)

Last edited:
Earlier bottle tops were cardboard with little push out circles in the middle. Females used to collect such tops to make decoration balls by winding wool round them somehow.

Just done the same to make a dense ball tuft for a 'last pattern' shako I have made.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
And Kia Ora orange drink in the stepped plastic sealed cup in cinemas. Always tasted a bit plasticky but delicious.

I had to walk 0.7 miles to primary school (Mummy didn't take me in a BMW X5). There was a caravan showroom along the road, and somehow it came to our attention that they sold these plastic cup drinks from a fridge there.
Sometimes, with luck, you'd go through your pockets and come up with the 7½ new pence required, and pop in on the way home for a delicious drink. There were two flavours, orange and raspberry, and they both tasted like PVC but were lovely.

Germoline ointment! Used to love that smell and...euthymol used to taste like it.
I used to like Victory-V sweets also... which had chloroform or something in them.

Likewise!!
I think that the active ingredient in Victory-Vs was ether. I consumed them to the point of mild hallucination along with Tyrocaine throat lozenges (now also banned, the clue being in the 'caine').

Anyone else remember Ferguzade, Scotland's alternative to Brufen?

I spent an unfortunate 3 weeks being force-fed it by a rather forbidding grandmother during chickenpox season and was traumatised by the incessant tapioca that went with it.

Anyone else remember Ferguzade, Scotland's alternative to Brufen?

I spent an unfortunate 3 weeks being force-fed it by a rather forbidding grandmother during chickenpox season and was traumatised by the incessant tapioca that went with it.
I think I may have already bored everyone with this tale but bollocks here it is again

Trapped my finger in a cinema seat which crushed it. To heal the subsequent infection instead of seeking medical attention and antibiotics my Scottish mother decided to "plot" it. Which was dipping the finger into almost boiling water for as long as you could stand it, remove and repeat. This in combination with "bread poultice" to draw the poison eventually healed the finger.
Modern medicine? I've shit it .

tiv

LE
I had to walk 0.7 miles to primary school (Mummy didn't take me in a BMW X5). There was a caravan showroom along the road, and somehow it came to our attention that they sold these plastic cup drinks from a fridge there.
Sometimes, with luck, you'd go through your pockets and come up with the 7½ new pence required, and pop in on the way home for a delicious drink. There were two flavours, orange and raspberry, and they both tasted like PVC but were lovely.
When I was at primary school we were living just out of town and I was plonked in a seat on the back of my mothers bike to get me to school. Roads were a lot quieter then of course, the only problem being the Ham River lorries charging along with a load of gravel from the pits up the road.

ETA - The lorries were quite distinctive having half-cabs.

Last edited:
No. Screw tops & yellow sunglasses plastic from my younger days.
It was always sticky, I seem to remember.
Nope. It was your fingers you grubby little oik. Boys of that age were a loose collection of bruises, scabs, dirt and unexplained stickiness. I should know.

Likewise!!
I think that the active ingredient in Victory-Vs was ether. I consumed them to the point of mild hallucination along with Tyrocaine throat lozenges (now also banned, the clue being in the 'caine').

...... When I was a boy the Local Chemist Shops would make up their own cough cures one of which was called a " Policeman's Bottle " ... bluish if my memory serves me correctly and may have contained something similar .... people became addicted

Last edited:
I remember the original pac-a-mac raincoat. Grey waterproof plastic, with buttonholes that usually split after a few uses.
Tried to find a photo, but no luck.

Edit: It was the smell of the vinyl that I can still remember

Last edited:
Which reminds me of an old (if crap) joke from the sixties.

Tannoy announcement in a supermarket: "Would customers please refrain from sitting their children on the bacon slicer as we are getting a little behind in our orders".

That joke dates from 1969 when I had my first proper job (i.e not a paper round) on the delicatessen counter in MacFisheries in Hounslow High Street. I can date it as I needed a National Insurance card (remember those, with the weekly stamps) and my NI number ends 69/C.

My mother used to come and buy premium ham, bacon etc which was priced up as cheapo spam or haslet (and WTF was that anyway and what happened to it). My first dipping of the toes into the murky waters of financial crime. Happy days indeed.

And for added serendipity and nominative determinism the head fishmonger in Macfisheries was Bob Fisher.

Memory jog:- slightly off thread. The head engineer at the Kiddeminster sugar beet processing factory was a Mr Kale.