Memorable stuff from your formative years

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Which reminds me of an old (if crap) joke from the sixties.

Tannoy announcement in a supermarket: "Would customers please refrain from sitting their children on the bacon slicer as we are getting a little behind in our orders".

That joke dates from 1969 when I had my first proper job (i.e not a paper round) on the delicatessen counter in MacFisheries in Hounslow High Street. I can date it as I needed a National Insurance card (remember those, with the weekly stamps) and my NI number ends 69/C.

My mother used to come and buy premium ham, bacon etc which was priced up as cheapo spam or haslet (and WTF was that anyway and what happened to it). My first dipping of the toes into the murky waters of financial crime. Happy days indeed.

And for added serendipity and nominative determinism the head fishmonger in Macfisheries was Bob Fisher.
My NI number finishes 52C, the C correctly identifying I was born in the third quarter of the year, but I was born in 55.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Fang_Farrier can probably comment on this but I read that cleaning your teeth with a cloth and tooth powder was more effective than a brush/toothpaste (I'm not convinced).

I used the Eucryl smokers toothpaste powder from a tin for a long time. Still got all my choppers, fortunately.

There used to be a truly disgusting toothpaste that haunted much of my youth. Pink Euthymol was made by the Parke, Davis company whose UK office was on Hounslow Heath (building still there but now occupied by Eaton). My grandfather used to work there and got the toothpaste free (no idea how but can make a wild guess) thus the haunting.

Video of grand opening: Opening Ceremony of the Research and Administration Building, Parke, Davis and Company Ltd, Hounslow Heath

Brush and modern paste is far more effective than a cloth and powder.

TamH70

MIA
It had definitely changed by the time I was hatched. My last three are 16B, and I was born nowhere near 1916.

Standard fare in Lincolnshire. Pork and liver meatloaf, eaten cold. Available from Boston Sausage.

My NI number finishes 52C, the C correctly identifying I was born in the third quarter of the year, but I was born in 55.

Did this change, as mine is 49A, and I was born in Oct 60.

It had definitely changed by the time I was hatched. My last three are 16B, and I was born nowhere near 1916.

It was probably coincidence. I just assumed the final two digits were the year of issue having got 69/C in summer 69.

The C is probably accurate as I was born in June, which is the third quarter.

Probably a case of apophenia or hindsight bias on my part.

Were you not expected to live then?
At the time and we did for our son and daughter parents could take out Endowment Policies to mature on your 21st birthday .... we took out several with The Pearl including a large one which did very well during one of the economy " boom " periods .... we had a guaranteed pot at the end and also another element based om market volatility .... classic way of saving for the future then

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It was probably coincidence. I just assumed the final two digits were the year of issue having got 69/C in summer 69.

On the other hand, it serves to remind you which year you started working.

The six digits in my NI number equate to three models of aircraft (q.v. Junkers Ju52) making my number memorable to me.

RedDinger

War Hero

That was when I got my first real 6 string.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
39C is also wrong for me, both the year(!) and the quarter

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
The first record I bought, Sheb Wooley, The Purple people eater.

endure

GCM
On the other hand, it serves to remind you which year you started working.

The six digits in my NI number equate to three models of aircraft (q.v. Junkers Ju52) making my number memorable to me.
The three pairs of digits in mine increase by 12 each time i.e 11 23 35.

Not the real one obvs.

In an earlier post I mentioned having seen adverts for Jetex motors in comics. However, who remembers the other fascinating adverts that used to appear in them? Jolly wheezes to play practical jokes - plastic dog poo, itching powder, stink bombs, telescope with black ink/powder to give your chums black eyes, etc. Simple crystal radio kits, packets of stamps for collectors ( for some reason frequently offered "On Approval" ) and the amazing Seebackroscope........

RedDinger

War Hero
In an earlier post I mentioned having seen adverts for Jetex motors in comics. However, who remembers the other fascinating adverts that used to appear in them? Jolly wheezes to play practical jokes - plastic dog poo, itching powder, stink bombs, telescope with black ink/powder to give your chums black eyes, etc. Simple crystal radio kits, packets of stamps for collectors ( for some reason frequently offered "On Approval" ) and the amazing Seebackroscope........
There was a Joke Shop in my local city which sold all of this stuff. Along with other "jokes" which would probably never pass H&S rules now.

endure

GCM
There was a Joke Shop in my local city which sold all of this stuff. Along with other "jokes" which would probably never pass H&S rules now.
4336443.jpg

Latest Threads