Memorable stuff from your formative years

RedDinger

War Hero
Outlawed by EU rules at some point in the 1980s, I think. Merc badges were (for a while, at least) mounted on kinda ball-and-socket so they'd at least fold back when impacted by a small child or geriatric en route to the tarmac via windscreen and roof.

The sticky-up leaping Jaguar was immeidately dispensed with, in favour of the (rather less ostentatious) badge used today.
That's not correct about Jags. I had one a couple of years ago with the pouncing jag on the bonnet. I believe the law is it has to be spring mounted in some way.

I remember these on the "bathroom" window sill. Tghe top was Pulle the to pup a

Also lethal were the old door handles, a sharp lever pointing forwards. Later had the ends turned in, then faired off, now mostly flush to the doors.
View attachment 554267

Mk 1 Mini door handles were like that ...

2021 Mini Crpd RD.jpg

... later modified by installing a chromed metal fitting to close the gap between the leading edge of the handle and the door

The third car I had was a very early mini ... bought second had and eighteen months old ... payed for it with cash ... cost £350 .... flush from an Endowment Policy my parents had taken out for me just after I was born .

View attachment 554376

... later modified by installing a chromed metal fitting to close the gap between the leading edge of the handle and the door

The third car I had was a very early mini ... bought second had and eighteen months old ... payed for it with cash ... cost £350 .... flush from an Endowment Policy my parents had taken out for me just after I was born .

And the inside door "handle" was a wire?

For serious juvenile espionage, you needed the help of Big Chief I-Spy............................but I can't tell you any more.

If you were a scruffy little spy on an operation behind enemy lines you definitely needed your Clarks Wayfinders with the animal tracks on the sole and a hidden compass in the heel (for calling in CAS, obviously).

shoes 2.jpg

shoes 1.jpg

There was a big game version which came in handy when you were tracking elephants and lions in the woods around Hawley Lake.

Amusing vid:
I think their advertising tagline was something like:

"Clarks Shoes - For when your son really really wanted a pair of Beatle boots but you misunderstood and got him a pair of clodhopping beetle crushers"
Did anyone ever get their feet X-rayed with a pedoscope in a shoe shop? My mother says I did but I have no recollection of it. What a great idea - "lets give kids whose bones are developing (and shop staff) massive doses of X-ray radiation to find their correct shoe size. What could possibly go wrong".

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you were a scruffy little spy on an operation behind enemy lines you definitely needed your Clarks Wayfinders with the animal tracks on the sole and a hidden compass in the heel (for calling in CAS, obviously).

View attachment 554384

View attachment 554385

There was a big game version which came in handy when you were tracking elephants and lions in the woods around Hawley Lake.

Amusing vid:
I think their advertising tagline was something like:

"Clarks Shoes - For when your son really really wanted a pair of Beatle boots but you misunderstood and got him a pair of clodhopping beetle crushers"
Did anyone ever get their feet X-rayed with a pedoscope in a shoe shop? My mother says I did but I have no recollection of it. What a great idea - "lets give kids whose bones are developing (and shop staff) massive doses of X-ray radiation to find their correct shoe size. What could possibly go wrong".
Yes.

Early 60s. And I spent my early years in Start Rite shoes cos me mum worried about flat feet and ingrown toenails. Waste of time. Why do you think I went cavalry? Why carry your weapon into battle when you can let your weapon carry you?

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Every time I had a new pair of shoes up until I was 10

pedoscope.jpg

What about the number plates mounted longditudaly on the front mudguard of motorbikes. Like a scythe if you got hit by one. And on the subject of chopper bikes that gear change lever was perfectly positioned to do you an injustice if you came to a sudden halt and slid off of the saddle.
I know from experience having had one in the 70's.

Ah, yes. The old bacon slicer.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Tooth powder in a small round tin , you wet your toothbrush and scooped up the powder

View attachment 554376

They must have blown the budget on the exterior door handle. If memory serves the internal door opener on early minis was a vinyl covered cable.

Ah, yes. The old bacon slicer.

Which reminds me of an old (if crap) joke from the sixties.

Tannoy announcement in a supermarket: "Would customers please refrain from sitting their children on the bacon slicer as we are getting a little behind in our orders".

That joke dates from 1969 when I had my first proper job (i.e not a paper round) on the delicatessen counter in MacFisheries in Hounslow High Street. I can date it as I needed a National Insurance card (remember those, with the weekly stamps) and my NI number ends 69/C.

My mother used to come and buy premium ham, bacon etc which was priced up as cheapo spam or haslet (and WTF was that anyway and what happened to it). My first dipping of the toes into the murky waters of financial crime. Happy days indeed.

And for added serendipity and nominative determinism the head fishmonger in Macfisheries was Bob Fisher.

RedDinger

War Hero
My mother used to come and buy premium ham, bacon etc which was priced up as cheapo spam or haslet (and WTF was that anyway and what happened to it).
Its a pork meatloaf thing. They still sell it in Asda.

Tooth powder in a small round tin , you wet your toothbrush and scooped up the powder

@Fang_Farrier can probably comment on this but I read that cleaning your teeth with a cloth and tooth powder was more effective than a brush/toothpaste (I'm not convinced).

I used the Eucryl smokers toothpaste powder from a tin for a long time. Still got all my choppers, fortunately.

There used to be a truly disgusting toothpaste that haunted much of my youth. Pink Euthymol was made by the Parke, Davis company whose UK office was on Hounslow Heath (building still there but now occupied by Eaton). My grandfather used to work there and got the toothpaste free (no idea how but can make a wild guess) thus the haunting.

Video of grand opening: Opening Ceremony of the Research and Administration Building, Parke, Davis and Company Ltd, Hounslow Heath

Latest Threads