Memorable stuff from your formative years

anglo

LE
We would cycle down to a place called Welbeck abbey to collect conkers, pannier
bags each side of the rear wheel, behind the seat and on the handle bars,
Panniers full, head back home, it took an age to get back,
Size the conkers and sell them

A friend and I had a handcart, to deliver groceries and fetch and carry for people,
all to make a few bob.

Catch the free miners bus to the next village to go swimming.

Bull roaring,
Three stories terraced housing, brain pipes from ground to roof,
stuff as many drain pipes possible with newspaper using a length of stiff
wire, then light them all at once, they made a hell of a noise if done in the evening,
hence, the name :)

From time to time I still buy the Vesta Chow Mein. Most ends up in the bin, but I have yet to find an alternative to the crispy noodles that come in the box. They are the nuts with the sachet of soy sauce sprinkled over them.

endure

GCM
Spong coffee grinder. Had one for years until I got an electric one. Two atcherly, one for spices. My wife still drinks milky Camp coffee.
Spong mincer too

spong.jpg

One thing you don’t see in todays throw away society are cars driving around with odd coloured panels.
You would always see a Cortina with the main colour being red & a blue door or grey wing.
They’d obviously scavenged the spares from the scrap yard to keep the car running.

All Onslow from Keeping up Appearances walts.

Chef

LE
City children play on swings in a playground in Leeds, 1943 Jackson House, Leeds City, Urban Survival, West Yorkshire, Black Kids, Back In The Day, Good Old, Old Pictures, Historical Photos

The cheese cutter, truly the mark of a hero to leap off the end at full height.
Vintage playground rocking horse This was so much fun, always wanted the front or the back, they went the highest. The good old days before the ~Health & Safety brigade took all the fun out of childhood.

The horse thing always fun at the back and the seesaw

Demonstrating the use of your spine as a shock absorber deffo more fun then the ones with anti bump devices fitted. The whole point of seesawing was to injure your playmate, or enemy. Getting off when the enemy, or bestest friend, was at the top was a good tactic provided you didn't get caught by the seesaw as it rocketed skywards.

giatttt

War Hero
City children play on swings in a playground in Leeds, 1943 Jackson House, Leeds City, Urban Survival, West Yorkshire, Black Kids, Back In The Day, Good Old, Old Pictures, Historical Photos

The cheese cutter, truly the mark of a hero to leap off the end at full height.
Vintage playground rocking horse This was so much fun, always wanted the front or the back, they went the highest. The good old days before the ~Health & Safety brigade took all the fun out of childhood.

The horse thing always fun at the back and the seesaw

Demonstrating the use of your spine as a shock absorber deffo more fun then the ones with anti bump devices fitted. The whole point of seesawing was to injure your playmate, or enemy. Getting off when the enemy, or bestest friend, was at the top was a good tactic provided you didn't get caught by the seesaw as it rocketed skywards.

Wicksteed - truly waving two fingers at Darwin and the Emperor at the same time.

I really hesitate before posting this.

@Fang_Farrier may well wish to avoid it completely.

WARNING

The stuff below may well initiate severe PTSD/Flashbacks of unprecedented horror, and memories of excruciating pain.

I give you

DENTISTRY OF THE 1950S

1614721856319.png

Remember the slow speed drills, working off cables and pulleys

Absolutely NO anaesthetic before the drilling started.

No X_Rays, they just kept drilling until you screamed. (Well, you were always screaming, it just got louder when they hit the nerve)

The metallic taste of the mercury in the amalgam filling.

The metallic taste of the laughing gas before they extracted a tooth

The nausea and ringing in the ears as you re-surfaced afterwards, with the horrible taste of blood in your mouth, AND THE HUGE FUCKING GAP WHERE YOUR TOOTH USED TO BE.

I still have nightmares.

giatttt

War Hero
One thing you don’t see in todays throw away society are cars driving around with odd coloured panels.
You would always see a Cortina with the main colour being red & a blue door or grey wing.
They’d obviously scavenged the spares from the scrap yard to keep the car running.

All Onslow from Keeping up Appearances walts.
Metal Box Westhoughton, blokes on night shift would arrive early and unbolt a panel from their car in the car park. First fag break after dark it went into the powder coating booth. Some right odd looking motors in that area.

Nope.

I was talking to my daughter about smoking in the old days.

I told her you could smoke in a cinema, at work, in a theatre, in the pub, restaurant, bus/train/aircraft, the underground and even in the doctors waiting room.

She didn't believe me and assumed it was the normal wind-up.
I read somewhere recently that in the 1960s/1970s, about 80% of adults were smokers.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I really hesitate before posting this.

@Fang_Farrier may well wish to avoid it completely.

WARNING

The stuff below may well initiate severe PTSD/Flashbacks of unprecedented horror, and memories of excruciating pain.

I give you

DENTISTRY OF THE 1950S

View attachment 553990

Remember the slow speed drills, working off cables and pulleys

Absolutely NO anaesthetic before the drilling started.

No X_Rays, they just kept drilling until you screamed. (Well, you were always screaming, it just got louder when they hit the nerve)

The metallic taste of the mercury in the amalgam filling.

The metallic taste of the laughing gas before they extracted a tooth

The nausea and ringing in the ears as you re-surfaced afterwards, with the horrible taste of blood in your mouth, AND THE HUGE FUCKING GAP WHERE YOUR TOOTH USED TO BE.

I still have nightmares.

Wimp.

Living high on the hog (in 1967).
I had (as far as I can recall) my first 'real' curry* as a guest of my big bro' somewhen in the mid-1970s, when he and I visited a curry house not far from Harrow On The Hill tube station (pronounced Arrer'onnee'ill by the locals) where he - kindly soul that he was - ordered for me a mild beef vindaloo, whilst reserving unto his manly self a fearsome chicken korma.

One learns fastest, and most deeply, from one's most hurtful mistakes.

Wicksteed - truly waving two fingers at Darwin and the Emperor at the same time.
Throughout the Empire, too.
Photo from another site, but this playground in Malta GC also had one of ‘those’ roundabouts, a ‘Witches Hat’, and a ‘Horse’.
816E622D-64F9-4956-BFFF-6EE407D34F83.jpeg

As far as climbing frames went, our Primary school had these scrambling nets: the school med centre wasn’t too far away.
E8A20050-EE4C-484A-A757-EB6548BBA81E.jpeg

giatttt

War Hero
Wicksteed: I remember a park in Ayr that had a roof over the top of the slide as it was so high. Designed to stop kids climbing over the top and falling off. It was over 30 feet high.

Latest Threads