Memorable stuff from your formative years

If you were ill, you were sometimes allowed Lucozade. But only a very small glass! Too much Lucozade was bad for you.

Nothing to do with the stuff being pricey.
I always thought Lucozade wasn't very nice.

Ferguzade was much nicer, and IIRC, also came wrapped in yellow cellophane.

1614697043725.png

By the 70's we were much more adventurous and worldly wise. These were the height of sophistication.

View attachment 553810
I loved the beef curry. My Mum would buy me one for a treat like a birthday as she hadn't a lot of money to spare. It was about as much foreign food as she would tolerate in the house.

I always thought Lucozade wasn't very nice.

Ferguzade was much nicer, and IIRC, also came wrapped in yellow cellophane.

View attachment 553871
I agree about the taste of Lucozade .... I must have been proper poorly and my Mam bought a bottle ... she explained it was full of Glucose and would do me good ... I was expecting it to be sweet ... it was not ... quite a sharp taste if my memory is correct .

Killer recreation ground toys.
The rocking horse, the witches hat. the roundabout weighed about 2 tonnes and we would get underneath it and then the other kids would spin it up. If someone had fallen off they would have been destroyed! We played tag on witches hat when it was going full tilt and occasionally managed to get it off its post. The swings big chunk of hard plastic weighed a lot and with the chains were lethal. the game was jumping off or twisting the chains and helicoptering down. All on concrete. Then scaling the big slide via the metal work. I think it was the first big high metal thing I climbed. Future echoes.
What was the orange pop bottles in Cyprus not Coke, keo?

If someone had fallen off they would have been destroyed!

We used to fall off all the time and then stagger about and fall into things because of the giddiness induced by spinning up to a g-force that could throw you off the planet.

What was the orange pop bottles in Cyprus not Coke, keo?
I think Keo was a bit of local Cypriot mafia at work. They seemed to have their hand in everything on the island. At one time the only beers available were Keo and Carlsberg, I think, (which was bottled and distributed locally by Keo.)

The screw-top Corona bottles were innovations to me, I remember Corona when it had ( I think) ceramic and rubber stoppers held in place by a metal clip type of thing which could be damaging to greedy little fingers. (I think Corona may have originally had the sort of pop bottle which contained a marble to hold in the fizz, but that was before my time.

Tizer, now, DID have screw top stoppers, but they were still ceramic and rubber.

I had an uncle in County Durham who worked for Cameron's brewery (In West Auckland?) and he used to drive the delivery lorries. He was a surly, morose man, but that was easily forgiven when you remembered he would often drop off a crate of "broken" pop bottles at your Gran's.

If you fell off while underneath while it was spinning you would have been transmogrified by the frame work and the ground. This sort it was incredibly hard to stop from max rpm.
_20210302_154513.JPG

If you fell off while underneath while it was spinning you would have been transmogrified by the frame work and the ground. This sort it was incredibly hard to stop from max rpm. View attachment 553880

I see the young lad is wearing his socks de rigueur ... neither up nor down ... and sporting his Club Badges ... I only had two GB Club and RSPCA .
GB Club Song .... which I have also Posted before but so what ...

... happy innocent days .

Anyone else a member of the Dennis The Menace fanclub?

A free virtual gobstopper and sherbet dip if you can remember the secret* password and response.

*Secret as in "only known to three million grubby boys"

Latest Threads