Memorable stuff from your formative years

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Sending and receiving letters and postcards.
Pen pals.
Returning enough empty bottles to get a full one (3d / 1p on the bottle).
Waiting 5 minutes for the telly to warm up (ok it wasn't 5 minutes)
Only having 2/3 channels
Watch with Mother and The Magic Roundabout
Thunderbirds on once a week.

Roast belly pork for sunday dinner where the fat was about an inch thick.
Lost due to government breeding policies.
Hence the Lincolnshire curly coat pig went extinct in the early seventies.
Now if by chance anybody knows of a good source for fat belly pork please let me in on it.
Keep your eye on @Humble Tiller in the farming thread.....
( He's bound to let one of his new gilts get a little too 'retro')

On reflection this is all a bit throwing the baby out with the bath water. Much that was good was lost but I wouldn't wish to live in those times again. Poverty was no joke.

Getting a Dr's appointment when your parents had walked to the phone box and if you were properly ill a Dr would come and see you. Arranging to be at the phone box on Sunday evenings so my fathers parents who had a phone could ring him.
Reverse charges if you had to ring home and had no money
Actually having no money.
And going into phone boxes, and pressing button A and button B to see if any pennies fell out.

Pen pals.
Only having 2/3 channels

Hiding behind the settee when the Daleks came on.

Roast belly pork for sunday dinner where the fat was about an inch thick.
Lost due to government breeding policies.
Hence the Lincolnshire curly coat pig went extinct in the early seventies.
Now if by chance anybody knows of a good source for fat belly pork please let me in on it.
I don't know where the restaurant we use oop norf get their belly pork from but it is proper thick with fat, at least an inch. I'll ask him when they open again or you could email him yourself: Choose Your Option - Cherry Tree Blackrod

Pen pals.
Only having 2/3 channels
Flash Gordon, with sparklers stuck into the back of the spaceships hanging on wires. The Lone Ranger.

Hiding behind the settee when the Daleks came on.
Being given free bags of crisps when the football pavilion reopened for the season. Those old bags never sealed properly so the crisps were all soggy, but they were crisps and free!!!!
Also free flat pop as the caps on the bottles did not seal well either.

Last edited:
Free 60 mm commandos with packs of OMO washing up powder. Still got them !!!
Must be 60 years old now.

1614591411754.png

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Appointment? Back then you just all piled into the waiting room, late comers stood outside. And you had to remember who was ahead of you so you didn't miss your turn.
Sit in a queue of chairs round the waiting room. Person in chair 1 gets called, everybody shuffles up a chair.

I don't know where the restaurant we use oop norf get their belly pork from but it is proper thick with fat, at least an inch. I'll ask him when they open again or you could email him yourself: Choose Your Option - Cherry Tree Blackrod
I've eaten there, top place. I'll add it to the big list of 'Things I Must Do Again Once This Crap Is All Over'.

tiv

LE
Doctors that would doct rather than having you book sometime in the future where you would be either healthy or dead.
Yes, and surgery was in his house. Front room was the waiting room, no receptionist and the room behind was where he saw you. Had a lot of skin problems back then for which the chemist had to mix up potions that came in a waxed cardboard tub

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
And going into phone boxes, and pressing button A and button B to see if any pennies fell out.
I may have told this before. Early 70s before pulse dialling on a circular dial became tone dialling. I was shown how to tap dial. Dial each digit of the number you're calling, and as the dial spins back to its start position, tap the cradle as many times as the digit you dialled. One for 1, two for 2... ten for zero. Repeat for each number you dial in turn. Connected without money. Cheers easy.

In 1976, back from Omagh, I discovered that the phone box behind Bhurtpore, Tidworth (we were next door in Aliwal. The Aliwal NAAFI was on the boundary between them, and the phone box on Coronation Street essentially adjacent, but behind Bhurtpore) still had a pulse dial phone. So every week me mum got a free SitRep.

Went away to UNFICYP for six months. Shiny new phone in the box. Tap dial home. "Hello?"

"Hello, mum. I'm back from Cyprus."

"Who is this?"

"Er, is this not Whitburn 293088?"

"No, it bloody isn't. You've called an Andover number, you're in the call box in Tidworth and tap dialling doesn't work any more. Stop bloody calling me."

Búgger.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Quite, except people sat where they wanted so no shuffling up.
Your fellow patients obviously didn't have a war-served harridan running the waiting room.

Anarchy, I tell 'ee.

Now you've shown your hand, I'll make a very educated guess.
Don't be fooled by the shop front!
This is where most non supermarket spec pigmeat in the North West of England ends its days.

For a decent order, Alison will vac pac and despatch (or should that be the other way round?) a decent lump of fat belly pork, I'm sure.

I may have told this before. Early 70s before pulse dialling on a circular dial became tone dialling. I was shown how to tap dial.
Still working in the 80s in phone boxes in that London. Friend of my brother used it to phone his cousins in Australia, if he eventually managed to tap out the sequence correctly - it was always amusing to watch him try, particularly when we were all slightly pissed.

Latest Threads