Memorable stuff from your formative years

tiv

LE
Parkray?
We had a Anthracite central heating boiler - massive thing that had to be fed daily, the clinker had to be removed from the front with a big lever on the side to push it forward. Although it had a water pump, it kept the house warm through the power cuts in the 70's, probably due to the physics of heat always rises...
That's it! This is not the exact model but it's close https://eu-browse.startpage.com/av/...2f5c188a797966a0565d735734ea0b3625a5f012813fa

I do remember the door glass was a series of strips rather than one piece, presumably for expansion?
You can just see the knob for the thermostat on the left side.

Chef

LE
Flames coming out of the arrse of a model aircraft brought these to View attachment 553372mind:
View attachment 553371
I had one of these:
1967 Javelin
1967 Javelin
JAVELIN – Length 14 inches, span 12 inches, weight 3⁄4 oz., complete with Jetex 50c motor.

Never built it due to being a tiny tot when I got given it for a birthday. But I do remember the fuse used to burn like proper dynamite fuse.

Something else that buggered toy guns up was the detritus from the paper caps. Corrosive stuff and I don't remember Lone Star pistols being issued with a cleaning kit.

Caps, we used to make nut and bolt bombs. Two bolts screwed into one nut with caps inbetween the bolt ends. Lobbed into street making a statisfying bang. Accused of letting off fireworks in street. Success.
[/QUOTE]
Similar here, but with the heads scraped from matches. The trick was to compress the compound as much as possible without it going off. Or grinding down the match heads to a powder with the back of a spoon without it taking your eyebrows out

Something else that buggered toy guns up was the detritus from the paper caps. Corrosive stuff and I don't remember Lone Star pistols being issued with a cleaning kit.

Caps, we used to make nut and bolt bombs. Two bolts screwed into one nut with caps inbetween the bolt ends. Lobbed into street making a statisfying bang. Accused of letting off fireworks in street. Success.[/QUOTE]

We did that, until the bolts we used became so increasingly large, it just got silly (dangerous).

Caps, we used to make nut and bolt bombs. Two bolts screwed into one nut with caps inbetween the bolt ends. Lobbed into street making a statisfying bang. Accused of letting off fireworks in street. Success.
[/QUOTE]

The plastic red ring caps or two were the wmd version of this. Also made a painfull and noisy less than lethal air rifle round. Left a mark . We were pretty sensible mind no face shots. They are still available on eBay, I think they are .22.
My father still bothers the crows with my bsa meteor that he took off me when he found it hidden in the shed. I was 13 and bought it off a gypsy boy with paper my paper round money and someone else's milk money. People used to leave cash out in the morning for the milkman. I was a 'lil bastard'

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Cap guns
Playing Cowboys & Indians for hours.
Airfix soldiers
Making stilts out of tin cans and string
Star Yachts boats (guaranteed to sail)
Going to new Brighton or Walton Hall Park to sail said yachts.
1614545909061.png

It was a test in Cubs: lay and light a fire.
Cut kindling; roll and twist sheets of newspaper into circlets; place kindling on top; then a couple of small logs;,then some small coal.
Light paper; watch it go; at the right moment add larger lumps of coal; broadsheet newspaper over front of fireplace to draw; yell ‘Oh Shit!’ when it erupts in flames ‘cos you got it wrong; get thumped round the ear by your mother; get thumped around the ear again when your father got home for ‘using bad language’ - especially in front of your mother.
Our SOP differed in the following:
Newspaper twists under the wood and also under the grate, from where ignition would commence.
Tin tray (blower) over the front then overlapping tabloid sheets. (My father was a Sun reader, and the South Wales Echo went tabloid while we still used coal).
Coke from the previous night to start.
Remove paper and blower when beginning to brown.

Our SOP differed in the following:
Newspaper twists under the wood and also under the grate, from where ignition would commence.
Tin tray (blower) over the front then overlapping tabloid sheets. (My father was a Sun reader, and the South Wales Echo went tabloid while we still used coal).
Coke from the previous night to start.
Remove paper and blower when beginning to brown.
The South Wales Echo did produce a most satisfactory ‘Woooof’ if you got distracted and missed the ‘browning’ point.

Cap guns
Playing Cowboys & Indians for hours.
Airfix soldiers
Making stilts out of tin cans and string
Star Yachts boats (guaranteed to sail)
Going to new Brighton or Walton Hall Park to sail said yachts.
View attachment 553433

I had one of those, green and red instead of blue and red, wooden hull and a metal keel. They did float and sail. I remember chucking it on a bonfire. Rigging was in disarray, but with hindsight I'll never forgive myself!

ACAB

LE
We used to fix darts (yes, real darts) to a piece of bamboo approx 15" long, flight it using cut out playing cards and a bit of string for power. They had a range of about 150 ft.

How we never seriously injured anybody is anyone's guess.

Latest Threads