Memorable stuff from your formative years

I believe the 'Hunt's' centre of gravity is now a little further south around Aldbrough St John. It survives still though and a horseless group were recently present at the Great Yorkshire Show - suits and bowler hats was the order of the day, accompanied by their dogs. North Green on the other hand was the recent locus of the classic car display during the Staindrop Carnival. The police stn survives, still has its blue lamp signage, thouh I have never seen a policeman - must find out about that. Mind you, during a dog walk I did meet a retired 'branch' man who added to my Op Banner research as he had been involved in resettlement of agents/informers. Still an interesting place is Staindrop.

ETA in respect of the 'op banner' comment, I also found, to my utter amazememt, that the lead investigator in the search for the 'dissapeared' across the water resides in another closeby village. Very small world.
Thanks very much for that update much appreciated glad you like it there and the village fete still exists which is great news to the winner of the under 10s fifty yard dash in 1960something. Cheers for the update.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
CPR applied and thread is revived.

I recall from being a kid, men would wear large belts. By large I mean quite wide, and these belts would have cap badges pinned into them. I suppose that given that at that time most of the men would have served in WW2 or the nastiness in Korea, then maybe it was a way of remembering and celebrating their service. Certainly miners and factory workers were unlikely to have a regimental blazer complete with badge and tie.

I yearned for the SLR. I was given the Tommy gun. I was miffed until I realised I could brrrrrrr machine gun all my mates and win while they could only shout bang - plus after a few games they'd all snapped the barrels off so looked silly while I was still ally (happy 8 year old that I was. It didn't last)
At the tender age of 64, this morning I sighted a domestic cat outside our local library.

And immediately wished I had a Sekiden gun with me.

Have they featured in this thread yet?

I have really enjoyed reading all 520 posts on here! What is really amusing is that for those at school in the 70s/early 80s, either we were all at the same school or popular culture was so narrow that it didn't matter where you went to school, the experience was the same. A product of 3 TV channels, 3 hours of kids TV at best, no effort made to tailor the entertainment during the holidays, and limited money to spend on toys, meaning no-one had anything 'exotic'. One vital piece of weaponry that hasn't been mentioned is this:

View attachment 82448
The classic Sekiden Gun, spring firing, loaded with small 'gold' plastic balls - ammo was cheap as chips (and the odd gold coating used to come off on your hands), but we still spent ages after a good gunfight picking them all back up again!
July 2012 :)

ugly

LE
At the tender age of 64, this morning I sighted a domestic cat outside our local library.

And immediately wished I had a Sekiden gun with me.

Have they featured in this thread yet?
Not yet, mine was constantly being confiscated for my cuntish behaviour to the local moggies

Not yet, mine was constantly being confiscated for my cuntish behaviour to the local moggies
And rightly so. Abhorrent behavior.

It's been mentioned before but I saw a couple of these for the first time in about 25 years. Along with emptying the shop on the Cornish holiday park (Forget where) we'd take family holidays at of Commando Comics, these were a staple.....

CPR applied and thread is revived.

I recall from being a kid, men would wear large belts. By large I mean quite wide, and these belts would have cap badges pinned into them. I suppose that given that at that time most of the men would have served in WW2 or the nastiness in Korea, then maybe it was a way of remembering and celebrating their service. Certainly miners and factory workers were unlikely to have a regimental blazer complete with badge and tie.
Funny you should mention those belts. There’s a bric a brac/antique shop nearby that has a few of those badged belts for sale

Wrong.

Well fed moggies killing bird-life for fun is abhorrent behaviour. Sekiden therapy (or similar) is most effective, and non-lethal.

And good sport :-D
I'm just thinking that buying one of those and using the squirrels (currently stripping the cob nuts from the tree in my back garden - thieving little buggers!) as targets would be fun.

I could sit on the decking (aka firing point) and ping away - I'm sure it would improve my hand/eye coordination and reaction times to moving targets... :)

Wrong.

Well fed moggies killing bird-life for fun is abhorrent behaviour. Sekiden therapy (or similar) is most effective, and non-lethal.

Nonsense. Kill them all. The RSM at 3 Bde in Portadown used to hunt them under the portacabins with a 9mm. It didn't matter whether you were asleep or not; being woken by a single LV shot and a 'Yes!' was good news.

Mike Barton

War Hero
I yearned for the SLR. I was given the Tommy gun. I was miffed until I realised I could brrrrrrr machine gun all my mates and win while they could only shout bang - plus after a few games they'd all snapped the barrels off so looked silly while I was still ally (happy 8 year old that I was. It didn't last)
Not only would the barrel snap off but the magazine clip would break and fall out, what you were left with was a stubby length of black plastic that looked like one of those new-age shotguns that our American friends get very aroused when looking at.

Wrong.

As Pratchett pointed out, 'if cats looked like frogs we'd realise what evil bastards they are'.
But even DEATH has a soft spot for the furry psychos and you don't mess with someone with a horse called Binky.

Not only would the barrel snap off but the magazine clip would break and fall out, what you were left with was a stubby length of black plastic that looked like one of those new-age shotguns that our American friends get very aroused when looking at.
I wasn't happy to start with but I was really chuffed with the sturdy Tommy Gun

Nonsense. Kill them all. The RSM at 3 Bde in Portadown used to hunt them under the portacabins with a 9mm. It didn't matter whether you were asleep or not; being woken by a single LV shot and a 'Yes!' was good news.
Bless him

In Middletown, my OC gave the task of culling the fvckers that lived off the refuse skip to our CQMS, who would hunt them in darkness with a .22 Anschutz, mit underslung Bardic lamp black maskered to the fore end stock.

It was wise to whistle in the yard after dark.

O, and CSM Timmy W who later went on to be RSM, entered a house in W Belfast where the elderly cat loving owner had died some few days earlier, and lain undiscovered at the foot of the stairs, where TW found him being eaten by his little feline friends.

Being a good Irish Catholic boy, TW was gravely incensed, so drew his 9mm and went in vengeful pursuit of all the little feckers until he ran out of ammo (or possibly, cats. I forget which) :-D

Last edited:

Latest Threads