Memorable stuff from your formative years

My next door neighbour has lived on this street 45 years: “I’m not from round here” he’ll say... “I’m from Ilkley”.
I think my family will have gained a foothold by the time my great great grandkids have children!
When I lived on the Isle of Wight I was told it was about 5 generations to stop being downsiders and become caulkheads. Knowing the island they expect you to become fully interbred by then.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Not too well known is the fact that the West Auckland Miners football club (Northern League) were the first winners of the Thomas Lipton Cup (considered by many to the forerunner of the World Cup) when, in 1909 when won the trophy in Italy. They repeated the performance the following year, beating non other than Juventus 6-1 in the final.
Remember a rather good film about that, starring Dennis Waterman. Brilliant ending.

Edited to add beaten to it! Still a good film though

Love the comment some are more status concious than they need to be, absolutely how it was back then especially between different levels of Raby employees, as independents my family were able to move between the various stratas withe slightly more freedom. I remember if you wanted to go into 'the woods' which backed onto the village and were part of Raby, you had to get a permit from the estate office in the village and the issue of said permit and conditions depended on your perceived status in the hierarchy of the village.
That made me smile. I went to the estate iffice for that very purpose about 4 years ago. They told me I had to put the request in writing. After doing so I recieved a reply stating that I needed to address my letter to 'Lord Barnard'. I decided to give it a miss. For 20 quid a year I bought an annual pass that gets me and my dog access to the estate (and Castle) as often as I choose. The dog goes free, she attracts lots of non-discriminatory social discourse and there was no grovelling involved.
20180915_104220.jpg

When we go for the 5am wazz next to the pool, my Big Girl always waits for me to finish before having a sniff then overlaying my two pints wth her effort.

Little Man just takes off at light speed to make sure pretty much everything in sight gets a sample.

Further to my previous posts, for those out there with connections to Cockfield this site is worth a view
Steven Spielberg was in the Barney area just recently when filming some sequences for his forthcoming WW 1 movie.

Love the comment some are more status concious than they need to be, absolutely how it was back then especially between different levels of Raby employees, as independents my family were able to move between the various stratas withe slightly more freedom. I remember if you wanted to go into 'the woods' which backed onto the village and were part of Raby, you had to get a permit from the estate office in the village and the issue of said permit and conditions depended on your perceived status in the hierarchy of the village.
I just re-read The Classic Slum by Robert Roberts. Describes working class life in Salford pre-WWI.

The perceived status of individuals and families and the social stratification in the area would have shocked a snobby duchess. Despite the fact that they were all pretty much in the same boat, living in the same slum and sharing the same level of poverty.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Can't find a photo but do you remember this

1960's VINTAGE AIRFIX F.N. PLASTIC TOY RIFLE BOXED'
Yeah...it was my older bro's.....I broke a window with one of the rounds :)

1564652750944.png

And yes, they also made a Thompson with a stick mag, very Commando ( Eat lead Fritz! )
1564653132077.png

Steady in the ranks.....we have a Helpline for anyone affected by this post .

Please call freefone 0800-075 0765

I’m originally from East Lancs and “now then”...or more phonetically “naaar then” was, and still is used by some as a greeting. One thing being in the mob has taught me - almost polyglottery in UK regional dialects. Little things like ‘ginnels’ and ‘snickets’...
Oddly enough I've just sent the greeting, Na' then gradely lass, shove a ferret dahn thi clahts for Yawksha Day, to an ex g/f

Remember a rather good film about that, starring Dennis Waterman. Brilliant ending.

Edited to add beaten to it! Still a good film though
The World Cup A Captain's Tale. Made to coincide with the 1982 World Cup.

The film was actually Waterman's idea - he read about the story in a book of football facts that he kept on the downstairs loo. It was made at Beamish because West Auckland was too modern. (A bit like how "Ripping Yarns" was filmed in County Durham although set in Yorkshire, or "Inspector George Gently", set in the north east in the 60s was filmed in Ireland.)

Waterman returned to West Auckland in 1986. On 1st September 1986 a Dennis Waterman XI played the current West Auckland team in the first half and the team that got to Wembley in 1961 in the second. West had fallen on hard times and needed £3k to stay in business, hence the DWXI. I remember it because it is the only football match that I have voluntarily attended. The team, which included Nobby Styles, stayed at the Manor House and Waterman was apparently on the piss until 3.00am. I saw him when I delivered the Sunday papers to the bar at 8.00am.

The cup was stolen from West Auckland Workingmen's Club in 1994, and has never been recovered. The same Workingmen's Club that acted as our 70s Saturday morning cinema, which is where this thread of all things south west Durham seems to have started.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The World Cup A Captain's Tale. Made to coincide with the 1982 World Cup.

The film was actually Waterman's idea - he read about the story in a book of football facts that he kept on the downstairs loo. It was made at Beamish because West Auckland was too modern. (A bit like how "Ripping Yarns" was filmed in County Durham although set in Yorkshire, or "Inspector George Gently", set in the north east in the 60s was filmed in Ireland.)

Waterman returned to West Auckland in 1986. On 1st September 1986 a Dennis Waterman XI played the current West Auckland team in the first half and the team that got to Wembley in 1961 in the second. West had fallen on hard times and needed £3k to stay in business, hence the DWXI. I remember it because it is the only football match that I have voluntarily attended. The team, which included Nobby Styles, stayed at the Manor House and Waterman was apparently on the piss until 3.00am. I saw him when I delivered the Sunday papers to the bar at 8.00am.

The cup was stolen from West Auckland Workingmen's Club in 1994, and has never been recovered. The same Workingmen's Club that acted as our 70s Saturday morning cinema, which is where this thread of all things south west Durham seems to have started.
Thanks for lovely information.

A moot point. I remember the buses - there were services run by United, Bluebell and OK. Locally, depending on whether they were arriving via the cattle grid or departing, they were known as the "downover" and the "upover". Apart from the aforementioned and exotic West Auckland, you could get to Bishop Auckland and Barnard Castle (always referred to as "Bishop" and "Barney". All the buses smelled of tobacco smoke.
Dad was a driver for United and then OK. It's how he met my mother, who was a conductress. Funny considering that one of the top television shows at the time was "On The Buses". His mother was a conductress on the OK, and her mother was a conductress for Eden. Being a West Auckland bus company it couldn't have been named anything other than after our most famous family. It must be a real embarrassment to the local Labour party that the only man from the area to become Prime Minister was a Tory.

Before he died I managed to give him a die cast model double decker bus made up in the OK colours with Service 83, Bishop Auckland, West Auckland, Evenwood. It was the bus that he had driven for years. He was surprised that I managed to by this in Christchurch when it wasn't available up there.

When we go for the 5am wazz next to the pool, my Big Girl always waits for me to finish before having a sniff then overlaying my two pints wth her effort.

Little Man just takes off at light speed to make sure pretty much everything in sight gets a sample.
Please tell Me Your talking about Your dogs,and not Your Children?...;)

On the status subject. My sister is Archaeologist at a university,and was sent on a conference to the west indies.I can't remember the island. On the online booking thing for the hotel they were staying at, it had the usual tick box for Mr, Mrs, Ms, Dr,Rev etc. But also had one for Your Royal Highness. Which she ticked for a laugh. When She got there, they had a red carpet. multiple staff assigned to Her needs,and had put Her in the penthouse suite. She didn't know whether to fess up that it was just a lighthearted jape. But decided to say nothing,and spent three days in the lap of luxury. Her colleagues thought it was hilarious,and played along, curtseying Your majesty ing,and general grovelling.

In the early sixties, on the london underground, Piccadilly line, our local station, Manor house, had on the platform chocolate machines, 6d got you a box of chocolate coated peanuts or raisins,, in a cellophane pouch, inside the box, which you accessed by pulling out the drawer, we then took out the pouch of sweets from the box, placed the empty box, back in the drawer, and closed it, the next punter got an empty box, this was 55+years ago, we were a bunch of little sods in them days.
Oi !! You little ******..you owe me a tanner.

Wightsparker

War Hero
That made me smile. I went to the estate iffice for that very purpose about 4 years ago. They told me I had to put the request in writing. After doing so I recieved a reply stating that I needed to address my letter to 'Lord Barnard'. I decided to give it a miss. For 20 quid a year I bought an annual pass that gets me and my dog access to the estate (and Castle) as often as I choose. The dog goes free, she attracts lots of non-discriminatory social discourse and there was no grovelling involved.View attachment 408031

Raby Castle and Lord Barnard.....
When my Durham miner Grandad lived at Cockfield, he entered local politics and was a councillor on the Barnard Castle Rural District Council in the 50s and possibly early 60s. Not surprisingly, he was a staunchly Labour man. Also on the "Rural" was the then Lady Barnard, who was an equally staunch Tory.

Recipe for problems? Not a bit of it. They worked well together as local councillors and Grandad considered her a friend.

Mention of Jeremiah Dixon reminded me that the Dixon family continued to live at Cockfield for some time. My late mother's first employment on leaving school at 14 was to be "in service" at what had been the Dixons' house. She later worked in a similar capacity in Manchester, but never looked back after her call-up as a WAAF in WW2.

Latest Threads