Memorable stuff from your formative years

@CaptainPlume. that's the badger. Sudden thort, I've got a CD somewhere, must dig it out, long trip tomorrow.
Here's all of it, although I had to do a search. Previous was done from memory, which had actually failed me a little. I've left in the preamble as these were always good:

You know: of all the songs I've ever sung, that is the one I've had the most requests not to.
I have time for one more here. This one is a little song dedicated to the boy scouts of america. [applause] we seem to have a convention here tonight. The boy scouts of america, those noble litt
Bastions of democracy, and the american legion of tomorrow. Their motto is... I would like to state at this time that I am not now and have never been... A member of the boy scouts of america.
Motto is, as you know, be prepared! And that is the name of this song.

Be prepared! That's the boy scout's marching song,
Be prepared! As through life you march along.
Be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well,
Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell.

Be prepared! To hide that pack of cigarettes,
Don't make book if you cannot cover bets.
Keep those reefers hidden where you're sure
That they will not be found
And be careful not to smoke them
When the scoutmaster's around
For he only will insist that it be shared.
Be prepared!

Be prepared! That's the boy scouts' solemn creed,
Be prepared! And be clean in word and deed.
Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice,
Unless you get a good percentage of her price.

Be prepared! And be careful not to do
Your good deeds when there's no one watching you.
If you're looking for adventure of a
New and different kind,
And you come across a girl scout who is
Similarly inclined,
Don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared.
Be prepared!

One wonders, in this PC age, how many kids would take the free milk, as so many seem to be 'lactose intolerant' these days?

All I recall was many bottles freezing in winter, and the locals tits (STOP sniggering!) having the occasional field day pecking the lids and crapping all over the place
We had one guy in our class, who couldn't have milk and got premixed orange squash with added cod liver oil in it, in the same tetra pack containers as the milk, one day he was off sick and I had his instead. It was pretty vile. Many years later I tasted something that seemed identical - screech.

No feckin wonder rickets is on the rise in 21st Century UK.
Stonks, I sure many medical conditions are caused by nutritional deficiencies, brought about by the snowflake and 'intolerant' diets followed by muppets.
"I can't eat chilis, they bring me out in hot flushes'.
Yes, sweetness, that is WHY we eat them!
Now, what is wrong with the 'meat and two veg' which has been 'de rigeur' for centuries?
And drinking milk and juice and eating fruit?
My nipper's favourite foods:
Daughter - Gammon (No, do not go to that thread!)
Son - Yorkshire puddings with anything.
Both could do a fried breakfast, a burger or a full roast if I asked them to.
And often have, just with a bit of daddy supervision.

Has anyone mentioned the milk was in 1/3 pint bottles?

No feckin wonder rickets is on the rise in 21st Century UK.
Free school milk has been a political football for over 100 years.
  • Introduced in 1906. Less than half of LEAs complied
  • 1945 - made compulsory for all kids to get 1/3 pint/day
  • 1968 - Wilson removed it for secondary schools
  • 1971 - reduced to under 7s. Most LEAs continued to supply FSM under various schemes
  • 1977- LEAs could claim funds for 7-12 year olds with families on Income Support
  • 1980/86 - Amended to lowest incomes only
  • 1995 - amended to withdraw subsidies
  • Today - 5 yo and under entitled to 1/3 pint/day. Also entitled to yoghurt/cheese milk under various schemes.
Who would have thought that giving kids a poxy little bottle of milk five times a week could be so problematic for one of the wealthiest nations in the world.

What a nasty, narrow-minded, penny pinching bunch of canutes.

Last edited:
On the brighter side I fondly remember milk breaks at Wellington and Lancaster schools in Osnabrück 62-66.

In the summer we got milk. But, joy of joys, when it was very cold we got cocoa or vegetable soup. Oh frabjous days.

about 1962 whilst at JHQ I brought back off leave several yards of catapult elastic and shared it out on my shift (R.Sigs), mayhem ensued nothing was safe from our patrols through the woods to Onkle Gustaves.

Free school milk has been a political football for over 100 years.
  • Introduced in 1906. Less than half of LEAs complied
  • 1945 - made compulsory for all kids to get 1/3 pint/day
  • 1968 - Wilson removed it for secondary schools
  • 1971 - reduced to under 7s. Most LEAs continued to supply FSM under various schemes
  • 1977- LEAs could claim funds for 7-12 year olds with families on Income Support
  • 1980/86 - Amended to lowest incomes only
  • 1995 - amended to withdraw subsidies
  • Today - 5 yo and under entitled to 1/3 pint/day. Also entitled to yoghurt/cheese under various schemes.
Who would have thought that giving kids a poxy little bottle of milk five times a week could be so problematic for one of the wealthiest nations in the world.

What a nasty, narrow-minded, penny pinching bunch of canutes.
I blame the Brits meself.

Has anyone mentioned the milk was in 1/3 pint bottles?
Back in prehistoric times, (The 50's) we had milk in 1/3 pint bottles, and us kiddies would collect the silver bottle caps, flatten them, and use them instead of money, playing "Closest against the wall" this was 60+ years ago. Edit:- Sir Thomas Abbney junior school, Bethune road, Hackney.

Last edited:
about 1962 whilst at JHQ I brought back off leave several yards of catapult elastic and shared it out on my shift (R.Sigs), mayhem ensued nothing was safe from our patrols through the woods to Onkle Gustaves.
Strewth, I was there then, but obviously not on your shift. 16 or 28, 'cos both were there at that time?

I remember there was (of all things) a vending machine that sold cold cans of beer in the mess hall at FT Harrison, IN back in the early 1970s. I don't think that stayed there too long because of the chance it would be abused, but I still thought it was unique. The only other place I saw beer being sold in a vending machine was in Panama (Atlas, Panama Beer, etc) A Balboa and a half would get you a frosty cold one. ($1.50 US) Those were the days.

I remember beer vending machines in a German Army training camp (Lager Donnerberg, Eschweiler) in 1975. They were all on the wall outside the Kantine. Very civilized...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We had that here as well after the milk had been delivered by the milkman and had been sitting in a large unrefridgerated shed for 3 or 4 hours, in the heat, festering and curdling away nicely, it was given to the little kiddies to drink.
More often than not, at least one or two of the poor little innocents would come down with a severe case of the big yellow fountain.
Put me completely off milk until I joined the army.

Virol was foul. I preferred Radio Malt.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/or8AAOSwEzxYTucp/s-l300.jpg

Early memories: Cow & Gate powdered milk. Farley's Rusks. And a cereal I've forgotten but I'll be back with it when the little man in the brown dust coat who live sin the back of my brain comes back with the name in a few days' time. Stop Press*: It was Farex.

And pretty much anything from here, including Cremola, but maybe not the Brasso. Yet.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7354/16377608651_e172d7bf7c_b.jpg

* Newspapers used to have a little box at the bottom of the front page titled STOP PRESS for breaking news.
In the 1960s, I used to go to the local chemist with the milk vouchers for Ostamilk and Farley's Rusks. I loved Farley's Rusks, even as a teenager.

In the 1960s, I used to go to the local chemist with the milk vouchers for Ostamilk and Farley's Rusks. I loved Farley's Rusks, even as a teenager.
Rusks were great.

Luckily I was the eldest of four so I could eat my siblings rusks.

And nab that thick syrupy orange stuff mothers got in the 50s/60s. Loved it.

I have been known to nick my daughters rusks late at night when I had a skinful.

1980/86 - Amended to lowest incomes only
I lived in a low income area, my dad was alive until 86 so we had enough cash(even with the miners strike) but all the class had the 1/3 pint everyday in infant school.
I moved to junior school 87 and no milk, some LEAs must still supported free milk?

Remember squash was extra for some reason.

I lived in a low income area, my dad was alive until 86 so we had enough cash(even with the miners strike) but all the class had the 1/3 pint everyday in infant school.
I moved to junior school 87 and no milk, some LEAs must still supported free milk?

Remember squash was extra for some reason.
I didn’t go into the full history, mostly because it annoys me.

There were all sorts of get-in clauses and schemes.

Did you live in Wales?

After the Grocer scrapped FSM many LEAs continued providing milk using money from other budgets and were helped six years later by the 1977 School Milk Subsidy Scheme from the European Economic Community (EEC), which allowed LEAs to claim extra funding for milk that could be distributed to both primary and secondary schools. In 1978 further funding was provided for any child aged 7 to 12 whose family received Income Support to receive free milk.

The 1980 Education Act allowed LEAs to claim more subsidies (it aded £25 million to the milk fund) but in 1986 this was amended to allow it only to those families with the lowest wages. The budget of 1995 saw another Conservative government cutting the milk provision by withdrawing some of the subsidies.

Nowadays, all pre-school children in England, Scotland and Wales who are five or under are still entitled to one third of a pint of free milk for every day they are at ‘approved day care facilities for two hours or more’. Pre-school care providers are reimbursed for this through the Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit.

Children at primary and secondary schools in these areas can also receive subsidised milk and yoghurt, organised through the Rural Payments Agency, with Welsh Key Stage 1 children also able to receive free milk via the funds of the Welsh Assembly government. If a family is receiving certain benefits then any children of theirs under seven may also be entitled to free milk, with pupils of special schools able to claim at any age.