Membership of Professional Organisations

#1
I was thinking about signing up for a few organisations such as the CMI, the IET, the BCS and a couple of others while I'm still serving, in the hope that they might allow me to reach Chartered status at some point in the future and hopefully help me achieve world domination (or at least get a decent job when I leave).

What organisations do you guys rate as worthwhile and what sort of experiences do people have of the various mobs?

Ta,

PD.
 
#2
I'm a member of the National Street Rod Association. It gets me cheaper insurance for my rod :)
 
#3
ECB ACO. And ACUS before that. Have met many interesting people and officiated at some interesting venues.

hh

To be honest and sensible I got my IT quals in order before getting out and I saw the adverts and subscribed. When I started to receive correspondence (which was very good) from the organisations the information was well above my station. Yes I should have done background research. (I realised just how thick I am)

I now just do it part time in the evenings web design/pc repair/it security. Keeps me busy outside the cricket season though and doesn't interfere to much with the fishing.

hh

Best of luck though
 
#4
Have been and are a member of various professional organisations, what line of work are you looking at entering upon leaving or are you looking for something a bit more generic?
 
#5
#6
PoisonDwarf said:
I was thinking about signing up for a few organisations such as the CMI, the IET, the BCS and a couple of others while I'm still serving, in the hope that they might allow me to reach Chartered status at some point in the future and hopefully help me achieve world domination (or at least get a decent job when I leave).

What organisations do you guys rate as worthwhile and what sort of experiences do people have of the various mobs?

Ta,

PD.
Meridian has hit on the most important point, what career are you looking at entering? I read an article a couple of weeks ago that suggested Chartered Status as an Engineer = about £15k a year in increased earnings on average, in every other walk of life it equalled the square root of FA.

I'm a full member of IET, IfL and APM, not sure which one helped me get the job but they were all brought up in my interview and all relavent to the job.
 
#7
They all come at a price these days as long as you have the right qualifications. It also depends upon the sector/companies you are aiming to join; they have to be relevant of course and some value them, some don't. Interestingly the Government Departments and Agencies seem to be placing greater emphasis on new employees having them, it adds a degree of professionalism to the firm.

I've swapped cards with peeps from the MoD's procurement org in recent months and found they barely have room to put all their 'post nominals' on the card with their names and appointments. Departmental policy apparently.

That said, I am a member of IET, APM & IBC - indicators of the areas I have worked in during my career which couple nicely with the job info on the CV and the firm pays for all 3 as they are deemed relevant to my job.
 
#8
I always find that putting all your letters after your name on business cards marks you out as a bit of an arrse, its a massive overgeneralisation of course but its just one of my prejudices, especially BSc or Bronze Swimming Certificate. :D

My experience points to the UK generally giving membership of professional organisations less weight than relevant and demonstrable experience however outside the UK, especially middle east and USA is the exact opposite.

If you can get memberships paid for then it is of course an easier decision, repeating what I and others have said, it all depends on the area of work you are looking into
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#9
Maybe of interest to those thinking of emigrating.
Membership/Chartered status of BCS recently translated into automatic "entry points" and proof of professional status via the ACS for a friends application to move to OZ.
 
#10
I am giving thought to either the Chartered Management Institute (I would probably qualify as an associate) or the Chartered Institute of Personel and devlopment. As a Police sergeant I can see both being relevent. Has anyone any experience of these groups?

Trotsky
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#11
Trotsky said:
I am giving thought to either the Chartered Management Institute (I would probably qualify as an associate) or the Chartered Institute of Personel and devlopment. As a Police sergeant I can see both being relevent. Has anyone any experience of these groups?

Trotsky
Been in the CMI for 12 years, PM me if you want to know something specific.
 
#12
Scratcher90 said:
Not sure if it's what you are looking for, but you can get a useful City & Guilds based on officer or SNCO experience.

The MCGI has proved extremely useful for me and seems to be generally accepted at face value as an MSc equivalent.

Cheers
Scratch

www.cityandguilds.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-FFB66215-DAF09158/cgonline/hs.xsl/1208.html
So for £370 I can buy a qualification of equal standing to a Masters? Fuck, I wish I'd thought of that before I started my course.
 
#13
meridian said:
Have been and are a member of various professional organisations, what line of work are you looking at entering upon leaving or are you looking for something a bit more generic?
Looking at strategic management in a techie-based sector, or aiming towards CIO level with a big player. Currently doing an MBA (due to finish in May 2010) but have 10 yrs under my belt as an ICT practitioner and manager, along with a BA (Hons) in Business with ICT. Done the City & Guilds MCGI already and have a BCS CITP application in the pipeline. PRINCE2 Practitioner already squared away and not due to expire for a while, although I haven't applied for the APM yet either.

I'm looking at cherry-picking from CMI, ILM, CIPD, APM, IET, BCS, WCIT and other organisations that are either technology-based or which might be otherwise relevant, but I don't want to apply for every organisation just for the sake of it. I would like to target the high-value ones, so I can get near to "fellowship" by the time I leave, whenever that may be. I know we serving types can apply for tax rebates for professional subscriptions but surely there must be a limit as to what is reasonable before that nice Mr Darling comes knocking on my door asking for his "credit crunch" money back.

How would people compare the frame of reference of the CMI, the CIPD and the ILM?

Ta,

PD
 

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
Trotsky said:
I am giving thought to either the Chartered Management Institute (I would probably qualify as an associate) or the Chartered Institute of Personel and devlopment. As a Police sergeant I can see both being relevent. Has anyone any experience of these groups?

Trotsky
Sadly whilst CIPD is vital for working in"Human Resourses" at management level I have yet to meet someone who is CIPD qualified who is not a hypocritical, backstabbing waste of skin and flesh.

Either they teach people to support management at all costs or that is the type of turd they attract.
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#15
PoisonDwarf said:
meridian said:
Have been and are a member of various professional organisations, what line of work are you looking at entering upon leaving or are you looking for something a bit more generic?
Looking at strategic management in a techie-based sector, or aiming towards CIO level with a big player. Currently doing an MBA (due to finish in May 2010) but have 10 yrs under my belt as an ICT practitioner and manager, along with a BA (Hons) in Business with ICT. Done the City & Guilds MCGI already and have a BCS CITP application in the pipeline. PRINCE2 Practitioner already squared away and not due to expire for a while, although I haven't applied for the APM yet either.

I'm looking at cherry-picking from CMI, ILM, CIPD, APM, IET, BCS, WCIT and other organisations that are either technology-based or which might be otherwise relevant, but I don't want to apply for every organisation just for the sake of it. I would like to target the high-value ones, so I can get near to "fellowship" by the time I leave, whenever that may be. I know we serving types can apply for tax rebates for professional subscriptions but surely there must be a limit as to what is reasonable before that nice Mr Darling comes knocking on my door asking for his "credit crunch" money back.

How would people compare the frame of reference of the CMI, the CIPD and the ILM?

Ta,

PD
Your spec is similiar to mine. CMI is only good for networking IMO, but the same applies to others of similiar ilk.
No-one is going to give you a plum job based on some abbreviations. APM will help if you are looking beyond UK.
I have the qualification sack and it intimidates some and it has definately lost me as much work as it has won. Be focused with your applications content and try and build a background in one sector if you are aiming high.
I chose ICT/Security/BPM in the financial sector, at the moment Pharma would be better - but everyone else knows that too :)
 
#16
maninblack said:
Trotsky said:
I am giving thought to either the Chartered Management Institute (I would probably qualify as an associate) or the Chartered Institute of Personel and devlopment. As a Police sergeant I can see both being relevent. Has anyone any experience of these groups?

Trotsky
Sadly whilst CIPD is vital for working in"Human Resourses" at management level I have yet to meet someone who is CIPD qualified who is not a hypocritical, backstabbing waste of skin and flesh.

Either they teach people to support management at all costs or that is the type of turd they attract.

mmm top level intelligence I will take into account. There seems to be something about viewing your staff as "Human Resources" rather than people. I would have to admit I view the term "manager" as being close to an insult and perfer to think of myself as a leader (with all the emotional literacy and desire to do the right thing rather than what some flow chart says that it brings) but as there is no chartered institute of SAS Wo1's and Flying Squad DI's I am doing my best with what there is.

Trotsky
 
#17
I'm an Incorporate Member of the CIOB. It's good for CPD, contacts and links to specific jobs. I am also eligble for ACMI but I'm not bothering at the moment. My missus is a Chartered Member of the CIPD. She worked her arrse off for it, certainly not an easy course to do. Having had a look through the CIPD magazine again it seems that it is good for networking and jobs.
Providing you haven't got some websters qualification I think professional membership does help as it expains to civvies what equivilant level you work at.
 

Similar threads

Top