Membership Of Professional Bodies - Useful or Not?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by HomerCleese, Apr 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am in my last year of service and will be looking for employment shortly. My question is "Is it worth my time & money applying for membership of professional bodies such as SOE, MIM etc"? Does anyone have any experience of actually getting a job based on these type of 'qualifications'? Are they a useful way of communicating Military experience in civvie language or just an old boys network which may or may not help getting a job? Seems a lot of money to pay out if no job comes from it. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. I joined the SOE just before I got out to get the letters after my name.
    I was looking for a H&S position so it may have helped. As soon as I got membership of IOSH I didnt bother renewing.

Now use CMIOSH & AIEMA, on my current CV and could use LCGLI if I wanted to try my hand at engineering again.

TSo to answer your question, having the rigfght letters after your name may get you to interview (CMIOSH certainly does).

Fees may also be tax deductable

DMT

3. It depends on what you are wanting get into.

Project Management jobs esp with MoD and Tier 1 suppliers (Lockheed, BAE, Thales) are very difficult to get if you are either in APM/PMI or have a recognised PM qual - APMs APMP or PMIs Certified Associate in PM (CAPM).

Give me a nudge if you want more info.

Oh.. and no I'm not selling training for them! Just got the t-shirt!

4. I think it would be worth your while to join the one which covers the discipline you are most interested in. But attending branch meetings is the key - NETWORKING gets you job introductions

If you are looking at HR/Training, almost all ads will ask for membership of CIPD and you are unlikely to get an interview without it.

5. As dunmitime says, it may help to get you an interview.

Also you will need to tailor your CV for each individual job. (Key Skills/Intro Bit). Being in IIRSM didn't get me a job, but it was a little bit extra to talk about. Also as pointed out, a lot of firms will refund your membership (1 or 2) on expenses.

6. Considering the way HR tends to work these days having the right quals, letters etc helps you get through the first and second sift and can increase your chances of getting an interview. If you are going for public sector quals are as far as I can see mandatory, no paper no job. It si a fact that whether we like it or not paper quals are being used more and more to sift applicants, before any one who really knows what they are loking for actually reads an application. If you know what you want to do go for the best set of appropriate letters, it may cost but will probably work out worth it, as you need face time with your prospective boss to get the job, no face time no job. Don't go over the top though, you may change direction after getting started outside, I have worked in several industries, for sevreal companies doing different work over the last 30 years.

Peter

7. Totally agree with Maxi. Membership of an appropriate body with qualification gets you through the sift and thats half the battle. If your lucky your new employer will take over covering some or all the fees especially if membership of a body is a pre requesit - if not once you get the job reconsider membership.
    Good Luck RC

8. Useful

I first did resettlement in Tidworth in 1994. Then we were told that 85% of all jobs are unadvertised. I did another 8 years, one day I got a call out of the blue with a guy offering be a job that was unadvertised.

After 5 years I have just started my second civvy posting: again I was recruited by word of mouth, into a role that was created for me.

If you are chasing the 15% of all jobs that only appear in the papers, professional body membership will help you with the sift.

I joined my first professional body about 8 years before leaving the Army. They offer a splendid networking opportunity.

After your skills and qualities as a serviceman, your third most important asett on leaving the Army is your personal network. I was recruited from the army by a Naval officer I had worked for 8 years before. So remember what goes around, comes around.

If you you are credible at work, then people will remember that. Mrs Sonic got her latest job, purely on the basis of having been in the mob 16 years ago.

Remember that headhunters are often used by companies who do not know what they are talking about, well nor do many headhunters. If you have particular skills that headhunters are looking for there are some useful social networking sites about.

There are OPSEC issues and you need to be careful, butLinkedIn is a useful networking tool. You can keep in touch with what folks on your network are doing, and find people to support your own business. Headhunters also use it in droves.

Many tend not to know what they are talking about - trust your bu115!t detector. However they will be desparate to show the client a range of CVs: it makes them look good, they also get a heft commission for every vacancy they fill.

9. I left the RAF 3 years ago and walked straight into a post at the CMI through contacts. The merits of networking cannot be emphasised enough. Professional Bodies usually have some support mechanisms (services, events and information) to help people to develop in particular disciplines, network, and thus facilitate crossing between employment sectors (ie, not just mil to civ!).

Membership of a professional body is generally perceived as a demonstration of commitment to professional development, maintaining currency and being aware. There's a lot of research out there, much of it provided by the CMI and CIPD. For example, it's not a coincidence that having both an appropriate qualification AND membership of an appropriate professional body can provide (once you get that job)advantageous salary and employment packages.

MOD policy is to gain professional accreditation of military training and education so that civilian employers recognise the skill sets developed during a military career. Thus the MOD has partnerships with Awarding Bodies such as the CMI to acquire Management & Leadership qualifications 'on the hoof' through the accreditation of career development courses. Retrospective qualifications are usually available for more mature members of the military who completed courses before the days of accreditation. Membership is offered as a matter of course, allowing the use of post-nominals on CV and Business Cards.

Getting to the interview is paramount - that's when you can explain how your experiences count! Few people get the opportunity to do what you do, under the conditions you experience and with such faith in your integrity and ability. Public awareness is increasing about military professionalism and its particular brand of leadership and management - however, ther's still a gap in understanding. Filling that gap with the currency of qualifications and membership undoubtedly facilitates getting to that interview.

10. For recognition of your leadership and management, the Chartered Management Institute offer fast-track entry for service personnel and qualifications linked to all stages of CLM and the commissioning courses incl TA and LEOC. See Supporting MOD personnel | Chartered Management Institute for more details. The Institute of Leadership and Management Institute of Leadership and Management - Home also have a similar offer.

Full Disclosure: I am the officer responsible for ensuring these opportunities exist for Service personnel.

11. ok the links have been cut but they're easy to find managers . org . uk / mod and i-l-m . com