Members of Parliament in the service??

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by blonde_guy, Jun 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have any MPs actually ever served in any of the services???

I can only think in recent times of Iain Duncan-Smith and Paddy Ashdown.

What about our glorious ruling labour party?? Any ex-servicemen amongst them?

2. Mark Lancaster Conservative MP - RE

3. think there was a previous thread on this............

4. The shadow home secretary David Davis was in 23 SAS, I think.

5. Julian Brazier (con) Canterbury

6. One of Labour's members is Eric Joyce.

/snip

Eric Joyce MP was born on the 13th October 1960. He lived in Perth with his family for most of his infant and teenage years before joining the army in 1978. Initially a private in the Black Watch, Eric went on to attend the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst and was commissioned into the Adjutant General's Corps in 1987. During his time in the army, Eric served in the UK, Northern Ireland, Germany and Central America.

He left the army in 1999 and served as the Public Affairs Officer at the Commission for Racial Equality (Scotland) until being elected as MP for Falkirk West in the by-election of December 2000.

snip/

Eric Joyce MP

Litotes

7. Actually Joyce did 3 years in the BW then went to uni and joined the ETS afterwards. His profile is wrong - trying to hint he was commissioned from the ranks etc. Don;t you remember him - the ETS boy always in combats and slagging off the Army and then made to resign?

Patrick Mercer Tory MP ex CO 1 WFR

There's another Tory just back from serving with TA in Iraq.....Dr Andrew Murrison

8. Fatty Soames was a Jock Guard was he not?

9. Tony Marlowe(Con) ex RE

10. Was'nt Ian Duncan-Smith a Scots Guard? (Same as an ordinary guard, except deep fried in batter?)

11. 11th Hussars

12. Yeah remember, Soames on ex, back in 69 Sailsbury Plain, we had a couple of Donkey wallopers from his regt on our Flight and they all reckond he was bonking Anne, sems she was regarded as a bit of a sport in thoes days.
    john

13. Sir Peter Tapsell, Tory MP for Louth & Horncastle, did NS as a subaltern with the Royal Sussex Regiment in the Middle East.

Mad as a hatter but by far the most entertaining parliamentarian in the House.

14. .....he was also a DS @Brecon in 1984-5:)

15. Andrew Murrison (Con) MP for Westbury, Wilts.

RNR as an MO

I have had the pleasure of his company during Telic 1/2. I'll keep my opinions to myself! :x