Member of Parliament wears stab vest to walk round her const

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by offog, Apr 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HARRIET Harman in stab vest to walk round her constituency. if this is an April fool joke she needs a reality check if not them she probably won’t be getting a Christmas card from the HS.

If she is in fear of walking the streets what is she doing about it and I also feel she lack courage if she is pandering to her advisers.

Edited because it’s amazing what you see when you read it again
  2. Oh My Buddha.
    Are these people real ?
    Arit Harman with a squad of Goons and she insists on a Bullet/Stab Proof jacket for a walk with all the press.
    Or does she know something we Prols don't.
  3. Heard her on Radio 4 this morning, saying it was just the same as wearing a hard hat if she was on a building site !!
  4. But why? Surely the official statistics show a falling crime rate?
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There is no crime, only thought crime. It's official.

She was wearing the vest, not because of crime, but because HSE advised her that there may be trip hazards and spiked railings in her work environment, and thus, like a hard hat, she is required to wear something to protect her.
  6. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Is it not to protect her from the other politicans that are trying to stab her in the back? :thumleft:
  7. I suggest she tries the Bolt Gun for size next time she visits an abattoir.

8. Obvious photo opportunity from the Queen of the PC brigade. Senior black Officer, Asian SNCO and white copper. She must think people are as stupid as she is.
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Then maybe they need to get guns instead?
  10. Is this a stab vest or a S.T.A.B. vest? Maybe she is celebrating the TA's centenary.

I wondered where that old green string thing disappeared to.
  11. Complete non-story being bigged up by certain sections of the media. There's enough to criticise the government about without being sidelined by this issue.
  12. DBL, Disagree, good story....I would not mind betting all the cabinet have them...the issue is who do they perceive is the treat and why...and what protection they have put in place for the general public
  13. So you don’t think that an MP believing that there is a requirement to wear a stab vest to go out in public is a problem. If she believes that the threat is so great maybe we should all have PPWs. What is she saying about the country, what signal is she putting out? Is it the same signal that the King gave when he remained in London during the war? How many other MPs wear stab vests or think they are targets?
  14. I suspect that as a cabinet minister she normally/habitually wears one! It weas just with the mild weather yesterday she took off her top-coat...

As for the story/non-story aspect, well if the Home Secretary says she is scared to walk the streets and Ms Harman pops on a stab vest to visit Peckham, well then that is a story. It is a "what the F"£$ are the government doing to restore people's confidence in the face of fear of crime" story to be exact. If they can't get the PR side right, then it is a high probability they are not getting the TOC/TOTCC battle right if we didn't know that.