Member of Parliament does the right thing

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Sir_Sidney_Ruff_Diamond, Jul 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I know that MPs are not always Arrsers favourite people but I think we should tip our hats to the Member for Milton Keynes North East, Mark Lancaster MP who, according to the latest Private Eye is preparing to be mobilised as an RE officer serving in Afghanistan.

I am not sure, but I don't think he is the first Tory MP to be called up. If there has been any Neu Arbeit MPs who have served please feel free to correct me.
  2. Good show!
  3. Sir Sydney wrote:

If there has been any Neu Arbeit MPs who have served please feel free to correct me.

I think a couple may have served in Afghanistan with The Taliban...
  4. Good for him.
  5. You have more chance of plaiting diarrhoea than finding one of the Neue Arbeiters (or, I suspect, their families) engaging in military matters.

And good luck to the Tory (both on his deployment and in the next General Election).
  6. Good for him! AND a Sapper! Hoorah
  7. I like to be fair in my posts!

I think there was another Tory medical officer or perhaps RNR called up for Telic 1.

Don't suppose there is much call for solicitors and trade union officials in Helmund. I am sure when there is NA MPs will be chomping at the bit!
  8. Dr Andrew Murrison my local MP served in Iraq in 2003. and a Mate saw him there!!

And Desmond Swayne MP

Come on Labour its 3-nil to the Tories
  9. Thanks I thought that was the case.
  10. An intersting observation from Mark Lancaster in the "Eye" - his list of required kit for Afghanistan included "3 T-shirts - Des Brown". Probably a bit like Che Guavara T Shirts, but with a picture of Swiss Tony on the front.
  11. Members of Parliment often go to Operational Theatres - its nice to see that one is going in uniform and is going to 'live the dream'. Maybe a new law should be passed, before anyone can be a part of the Government they should serve the country as a member of the Armed Forces?

That may save us a couple of deployments 8O
  12. Now lets not be unfair to social workers and solicitors and TU folk we could send them off to Helmund. I am sure that many of the Taliban chaps had disturbed childhoods and only need counselling sessions rather than all that nasty shooting. You should not underestimate the benefits of combat zone ASBO’s or the benefits of a properly organised union within the Taliban.

Old Gunners Etc.
  13. He stated that he's going 'for part of the summer recess', so how long is he going for? 3 months, 6 months? Fair play to him for doing it though.
  14. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I think it said he was going for 6 weeks. This is a decent chunk of the recess which allows him to go without affecting the job he was voted in to do, so best of both worlds I think.