Melbourne Bevvy

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by Eric Shawn, Feb 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any of you lot in Melbourne in the next fortnight? I have precious little money and need to spend it on something good, like getting hammered.
  2. looks like your drinking on your own billy no mates
  3. What's Melbourne really like Eric? Gizz the lowdown. I had a chance to move there recently (long story) and would be interested to know what it's like from a British point of view. If you still consider yourself that of course brother? :eek:)

I've heard the sort of high points. I'd like to hear the God's honest truth of what it's like. People I've met seem ok, nice enough folk, quite laid-back (to the point of lazy to be honest.) The beaches seem ok. I've got a feeling the city may be a bit small in some ways. There are up-and-coming parts which were very run-down until recently, same as parts of London.
    What's there to do around the city?
  4. Paradoxically Melbourne seems to have very few proper boozers.

The only real pub I could find in the city was opposite the main railway station on the corner.

Lots of the suburbs don't have any drinking houses.
  5. thats exactly what i reckoned myself. the famous pub then maybe not so many apart from that. but each area must have at least one. that TV series set in Melbourne showed one but it could have been a set. probably lots of new style swanky glass and steel places or coffee shop types all over the city.
  6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I'm not far from Melbourne, in Cambridge and used to be at Bassingbourn, which is very near. In fact, I went to a leaving do in Melbourne.

Or do you mean the one that is full of exported convicts?
  7. I was only in for the day, on a ship.

The place seemed to have quite a few bars but most of them looked a bit arty farty and were only open at night.
    I decided to catch the train to visit some rellies south east of the city and had a couple of pints in the only traditional pub that I saw opposite the station.

Once I met up with the rellies, I suggested a pint and they looked at me like I was mad, "Oh we don't have anything like that around here, if you want a drink you can get one opposite Melbourne Railway Station". Thanks for that.....

I have visited Darwin, Fremantle (Perth), Brisbane, Sydney and Hobart which were good places in differing ways.
    But Melbourne was a bit of a damp squib, very arty and the city had a distinct whiff of middle classness which seemed remarkably Home Counties.

In fairness I didn't see it at night and I do believe Melbourne has an underworld that resembles a rather less polite version of 1930's Chicago.
  8. again i think you have it right from what i have heard about the city too, from native close Melbournian friends.
    some areas are smartening up which means they were 'rough as' not long before. also means those people who made it rough have been forced out and are somewhere else now. its easy to forget there is a lot of street crime and gangs will and do beat people up in the cities, plus there used to be/still is a pretty big drugs culture, broken families (angry off-spring) and a lot of unemployment amongst some communities. easy to think its all sun, smiles and surfing but it ain't all about that.