• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Megastates - California vs. Texas

Great article. For those that aren't aware, for the last several years the US states have been leading the way in domestic policy initiatives.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-03-01/ennis-1.php

For the most part, however, Texas versus California has been a cold war, a simmering ideological feud between two great powers. And we’re talking about real global power, not the quaint, old-fashioned states’ bragging rights that used to be framed by football rivalries and wagers of Texas barbecue against California oranges. Of our past eight presidents, five of them forged their political careers in California or Texas. Today America’s two most-populous states— California is number one, Texas number two—boast world-beating economies: Individually, either one’s gross domestic product is bigger than Russia’s or India’s; combined, the states’ GDP is greater than that of every nation except Germany, Japan, and, of course, the United States.

winnfield said:
Great article. For those that aren't aware, for the last several years the US states have been leading the way in domestic policy initiatives.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-03-01/ennis-1.php

For the most part, however, Texas versus California has been a cold war, a simmering ideological feud between two great powers. And we’re talking about real global power, not the quaint, old-fashioned states’ bragging rights that used to be framed by football rivalries and wagers of Texas barbecue against California oranges. Of our past eight presidents, five of them forged their political careers in California or Texas. Today America’s two most-populous states— California is number one, Texas number two—boast world-beating economies: Individually, either one’s gross domestic product is bigger than Russia’s or India’s; combined, the states’ GDP is greater than that of every nation except Germany, Japan, and, of course, the United States.

I've been in California for almost 7 years and this is the first I've heard about any sense of competition or rivalry. Maybe at the heart of Texan bluster there's an inferiority complex. Give me a second, I'll ask my housemate- a Texan and see if I can get a rise.

“Since when did the field of science become the sole purview of left-wing politicians?”
I believe it was somewhere around the time of the Scopes Monkey Trial and cemented when the term "intelligent design" was coined.

As I thought- just checked with the Texan housemate (born and raised in Fort Worth) and she doesn't have the foggiest idea about any rivalry.

She, you asked a she about politics and stuff! Are you mad? Find a male Texan and ask him. He will tell you that all Californians are camper than a row of pink tents (or something similar). Find a Californian male and he will say something about illegal wars in Iraq, tofu, gay rights, driving licences for Mexicans and so on, thereby proving that the Texan was correct all along.

Latest Threads