Meeting the Future In-Laws

My situation was awkward. The future Mrs B was the very pretty eldest daughter of the homicidal batshit Ramsey copper. ( none of the locals dared look at her sideways let alone ask her out).
Yours truly here knew none of this and asked her out . All went wonderfully for a week or two, though I noticed she would allways meet me well away from her house and allways wanted dropped off some way away as well.
Then one afternoon drove out to see me and tearfully informed me that her parents had forbidden her to see me.! ( I aught to point out at this point that before I’d shown up on the scene,she was all ready to get out of Dodge and had her papers ready to sign up with the Queen Alexandria nursing mob.).
My non manx 28 year old male brain thought “ bollox I’m not being told to do by people I’ve never met” so I told her to go home and I’d be in to see them in an hour.
Which I did, They sat there very quietly whilst I politely explained that if H wanted to have the pleasure of my company that as a 19 year old that was purely a matter for her and I.
I later learned that they were expecting me to start tearing stuff off the walls as that would be what the bullying future FIL would do.! But calling their bluff disarmed them ( for now).
We have been happily married for 33 years now, but haven’t seen the in laws for 13 years after the unpleasant fil tried to drag us into a feud with the rest of her family when we were over for our second childs christening.
we left 2 days early and H has shown no inclination to ever return, ( even to her grandmothers funeral, to whom she was close).
There is lots in her childhood where I just don’t go.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
My FiL is an absolute diamond, he's now 94 and was a RASC despatch rider during WW2. From N Africa and up through Sicily and Italy. Calls himself a "D Day dodger". MiL was a hard woman, not very nice to her 3 daughters, joined the choir invisible 5 years ago.

O Zangado

War Hero
Harsh as it may seem, don't mess about - just marry an orphan. There is no baggage, expenses nor issues to worry about. Death did indeed us part from the first one after 25 years and I'm now ten years with the second. Life is wonderful.

OZ

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I first met my future MiL (now deceased, 02/03/20, non Covid) when the OH had said that we were meeting her around a year after getting together. So, popped into Bromley for a spot of shopping and met the most miserable specimen of womanhood I'd ever met. Shopping over and done with, she suggests going into Burger King for a snack, she gives me £20 to goto the counter to order (for her and FiL, 2 cheese burgers and one fries, OH just has a Chicken Royale) and tells me to order what ever I want. Come back to the table with food and drinks and sit down, she asks where her change was. I told her there was no change and it cost more than the £20 she had given me. I'd ordered a Double Whopper, fries, chilli cheese bites and a coffee (having just come off nights and hadn't eaten since 03:00 and it was now around 16:00). The look I got would've killed lesser men, the OH sat there smirking and the FiL had a slight smile on his face, they swere so used to her skimping ways that I was a breath of fresh air. After that, she was fine with me and didn't mind spending while I was around, even to the point of a new DSLR for Christmas that I had my eye on and teh OH had told her I was saving up for. When she died, it turned out that she had over £40K sitting in the bank that no one knew about and had left it to the OH.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
First time I met my in laws was at their 30th wedding anniversary.

Posh do in a nice restaurant.

I rocked up with a bottle of cheap champagne that I’d stolen from a wedding I was working at a week or two previously.

“Oh how lovely” the mother in law politely remarked, just as the waiters started pouring out the Dom Perignon.

First time I went to stay at theirs, we’re half way up the motorway before the missus casually slips out “Prince Phillip is gonna be there this weekend, did you pack a dinner jacket?”

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
When I met the current Mrs Tmw's parents it was a bit weird; we were both divorced from practice runs and in our early thirties, but when we went down for me to meet them in Bexley Heath, we weren't allowed to sleep together in their house (we'd been going out for two months by this time). Wife-to-be took umbrage at this, and I booked us into a B&B down the road. Very strained first evening - even more strained a month later when we visited again to tell them we were getting married!

To be honest twenty years on and I've never really got on with them; MIL's a hard and occasionally nasty woman, only really happy when she's causing trouble it seems. FIL and I don't have anything in common, but can rub along well enough. My wife on the other hand loved my folks and was heartbroken when my Mum died last year.

My inlaws don't speak English. I speak very little Japanese, so we can't really communicate.

Its perfect.

I first met my future MiL (now deceased, 02/03/20, non Covid) when the OH had said that we were meeting her around a year after getting together. So, popped into Bromley for a spot of shopping and met the most miserable specimen of womanhood I'd ever met. Shopping over and done with, she suggests going into Burger King for a snack, she gives me £20 to goto the counter to order (for her and FiL, 2 cheese burgers and one fries, OH just has a Chicken Royale) and tells me to order what ever I want. Come back to the table with food and drinks and sit down, she asks where her change was. I told her there was no change and it cost more than the £20 she had given me. I'd ordered a Double Whopper, fries, chilli cheese bites and a coffee (having just come off nights and hadn't eaten since 03:00 and it was now around 16:00). The look I got would've killed lesser men, the OH sat there smirking and the FiL had a slight smile on his face, they swere so used to her skimping ways that I was a breath of fresh air. After that, she was fine with me and didn't mind spending while I was around, even to the point of a new DSLR for Christmas that I had my eye on and teh OH had told her I was saving up for. When she died, it turned out that she had over £40K sitting in the bank that no one knew about and had left it to the OH.

You mean the pair of you joker?

Only met the MiL once about 18 months after we married, she came to stay for a week and she showed all the attributes of a little old lady from a NI Presbyterian background. Never met FiL, I am told he was a drunken undesirable from a NI Presbyterian background.

Therefore I know very little about Mrs 06 and her family, and that is fine with me.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
My inlaws don't speak English. I speak very little Japanese, so we can't really communicate.

Its perfect.
You lucky, lucky Basterd, etc.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Father in Law died from a heart problem the week before I was due to meet him! Nothing to do with me, he'd had heart issues for many years and was divorced from MiL.

Mil died several years ago in her 80s but she was a fellow scouser (from the posh bit around Crosby) and was just pleased to have 2 grandchildren to fawn over when she'd just about given up hope.

Very boring and no dramas. We've been married over 20 years.

The first Mrs Maximus turned out to be an evil tart but her mother was an absolute gem. I always say I married the wrong one. The father had legged it long before. The current Mrs Maximus's mother was slowly being incapacitated with arthritis when we first met and bore it impressively well but mother and daughter were not happy together so I kept out of it as much as possible. The father had died a few years before we met up (New Year's Eve 1986).

964ST

LE
I'm in a slightly weird situation. The future MIL Is only 6 years older than me but seems to have taken to me ok. Always giving us food to take home as she thinks I'm a little thin. She's a retired chef and makes lovely grub.
The mother daughter scenario keeps entering my head for some reason. I wish it wouldn't.
It is the first stage of Assimilation!

Ween! You onto the local grub (sauerkraut, sauerbraten, etc.) then introduce you to „Mettbrötchen“. You will be repulsed at first at the thought of eating Raw Mince (Yep! That is why you probably have a „Bog with a shelf!“), Then after that stage you will try and convince your visiting UK relatives that it is luverlly!

Advanced Assimilation signs would be holiday bookings in „Sylt“, “Baltrum“ and/or „Spreewald“.

My In-laws would have nothing to do with me at the start (cause of the German/Squaddie symbiotic relationship at the time (1987) was not harmonic!), But now! We are almost talking.

It is the first stage of Assimilation!

Ween! You onto the local grub (sauerkraut, sauerbraten, etc.) then introduce you to „Mettbrötchen“. You will be repulsed at first at the thought of eating Raw Mince (Yep! That is why you probably have a „Bog with a shelf!“), Then after that stage you will try and convince your visiting UK relatives that it is luverlly!

Advanced Assimilation signs would be holiday bookings in „Sylt“, “Baltrum“ and/or „Spreewald“.

My In-laws would have nothing to do with me at the start (cause of the German/Squaddie symbiotic relationship at the time (1987) was not harmonic!), But now! We are almost talking.

The good lady tried to get me to eat some raw mince. Wasn't even beef, it was pork.
Nein danke, I'll have a sausage thanks (cooked).

sidsnot

War Hero
Not my ex M-in-L as still get on with her.
My ex fiancées dragon old bootchops for a mum is a different story. She was the epitome of chav before chav became a “thing”. Mouth that would make a Scottish Infantry battalion blush with her language. She was evil personified. Nasty vindictive old slapper. Much like her daughter it turned out.

Not my ex M-in-L as still get on with her.
My ex fiancées dragon old bootchops for a mum is a different story. She was the epitome of chav before chav became a “thing”. Mouth that would make a Scottish Infantry battalion blush with her language. She was evil personified. Nasty vindictive old slapper. Much like her daughter it turned out.
Paging Dont Tell 'em Pike.
As usual.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Not my type. Preferred tall brunettes not short Oedipal wet dreams.
Besides which my father-in-law was built like brick outhouse and a former semi-pro boxer.
Hmm, going back to the MIL, red hair, any pictures for the ginger thread:-?

theinventor

War Hero
First wife was from an Irish Catholic family, which was interesting. Even in her own flat, if they came to visit on occasions before we married, I'd have to move out for the night. They could drink though... When I'd driven 300 miles to see them and ask her dad if I could marry her, all I got was "I've no objection". They did throw a good wedding though and let me get married in uniform.

Second Mrs is adopted plus both her adoptive family and birth parents died long ago - double orphan! Meeting her 18 yo kids was just as daunting as first meet with in-laws but they're great and when the time came I formally asked them if I could marry their mum in lieu of asking her dad.

My late (and very wealthy) fiancée's family weren't keen on me, as they thought I was only after her money. Her little brother warmed to me a bit when he learned I was a fellow Rover fanatic. His big sis would give him a couple of grand a few times a year and he'd come back from the auction with utterly bolloxed examples of Longbridge's finest. Kept him amused.

I hear from them now more since she died in 2009 than I ever did the whole time we were together.

The sad thing is, if she hadn't been rich, she might well still be alive. A person with an inherited heart condition doing £2K+ a month in coke is taking an awful risk.

Latest Threads