Meet the Russians.

Has anyone else seen this drivel on tv? Its basically a Gypsy Wedding type TV programme following the lives of the 300,000 or so Superrich Soviets as they try to buy their way into the upper echelons of Polite English Society. Chavs, all of them. Personally, I think that we were a lot better off, as well as being a lot safer, when we still had the Cold War and the Berlin Wall.
Comments? No racism please.

Has anyone else seen this drivel on tv? Its basically a Gypsy Wedding type TV programme following the lives of the 300,000 or so Superrich Soviets as they try to buy their way into the upper echelons of Polite English Society. Chavs, all of them. Personally, I think that we were a lot better off, as well as being a lot safer, when we still had the Cold War and the Berlin Wall.
Pass me the razor blades please.

4(T)

LE
Most of the "upper echelons of Polite English Society" are nouveaux-riche chavs themselves anyway, so I guess the Russians fit right in.

Funnily enough, the not-so-rich Russian middle class are quite conservative and moralistic. I suppose its because they were the ones too honest to steal everything around them, much like the English middle class.

Even Mrs H_M 2nd thinks that they are awful, and she is a native Russian speaker...

What I noticed in Moscow a few months ago was that the womenfolk there were dressed very elegantly, but not slutty, not like the noveau riche Russians one meets in e.g. Berlin.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I see more Russians in each trip to Thailand than I care to see in a lifetime. I'm sure not all Russians are ignorant, boorish, crude &loud-mouthed arrse holes, but those that go on tour invariably are.
So avoid the tourists areas where the vile creatures go, they really are pig ignorant.

my mate nick the greek keeps moaning that the russkies are buying up half of Cyprus !

Eh? Your mate Nick must have been asleep for the last 20 years, as the buggers were particularly noticeable by then. I remember sitting at a beach bar with some friends and listening to two horrendously pished Russian couples trying to have a row. Money was no object to their aim of getting so rat-bummed that they could speak fluent English.

As it turned out, after we were cordially invited to destroy our own cerebral cortexs in the name of Anglo/Russian friendship, one of the men was a Major in OMON and had been stabbed through the foot with a spike from an iron railing outside the Russian Parliament (this was in '93, when Yeltsin had a little local difficulty with the grumpier element of Moscow). As a reward, Boris send him, his bloated pig of a wife and his Brother and his wife on a 4-week debauch to Cyprus. My new mate Sergei warned me then that the Russian gangs were present in Cyprus even then.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
So avoid the tourists areas where the vile creatures go, they really are pig ignorant.

Generally do, but the closest beaches to the gaff (Bang Na, BKK) are Hua Hin and Pattaya. The former I haven't been to, and the latter has (bizarrely) more 'family friendly/kids club' touristy things to do. And loads of prostitutes, obviously. Going next week.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Generally do, but the closest beaches to the gaff (Bang Na, BKK) are Hua Hin and Pattaya. The former I haven't been to, and the latter has (bizarrely) more 'family friendly/kids club' touristy things to do. And loads of prostitutes, obviously. Going next week.
Well not been to Hua Hin for a long time now but I expect it's been developed a lot since then. It was nowhere near as awful as Pattaya. We stayed at what was the old railway station, Hotel was ok, some nice restaurants, there were loads of huge jellyfish on the beach.

@FourZeroCharlie,
Can't remember if I've posted this before, but I was at TPMH Akrotiri in 2000 and Limassol was off limits for a while as some Sovs had just whanged an RPG through a nightclub window for not paying the protection money.Nice.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Well not been to Hua Hin for a long time now but I expect it's been developed a lot since then. It was nowhere near as awful as Pattaya. We stayed at what was the old railway station, Hotel was ok, some nice restaurants, there were loads of huge jellyfish on the beach.

Interesting. Hear the old station is quite attractive, bit of a tourist site. Never seen any Jelly's in Thailand personally. Agree Pattaya is (overall) pretty dire, but its developing and trying to lose its seedy reputation (will never happen) and there is a lot of kid friendly stuff there now.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Interesting. Hear the old station is quite attractive, bit of a tourist site. Never seen any Jelly's in Thailand personally. Agree Pattaya is (overall) pretty dire, but its developing and trying to lose its seedy reputation (will never happen) and there is a lot of kid friendly stuff there now.
Only time I've seen them and they were like dustbin lids.

@FourZeroCharlie,
Can't remember if I've posted this before, but I was at TPMH Akrotiri in 2000 and Limassol was off limits for a while as some Sovs had just whanged an RPG through a nightclub window for not paying the protection money.Nice.

Sounds about right. I did my first short tour there in the mid-70s: the problem then were the Lebanese gangs who had come over at the height of the (first) civil war. They were a bit choppy and slicey when their 'girls' didn't turn enough tricks.

The Rooskies, though, were/are a whole different ball game............................