Medium and Big Game retrieval...

Another topic that has generated some discussion out my way, was the retrieval of the larger game animals in areas that are a bit isolated and remote. The expression "When you shoot something, is when the work starts"is very real. Normally we end up dragging said carcass the distance back until it can be loaded in a vehicle. Which is fine but it does not help preserve the animal very well when you drag the sucker for 3/4 of a mile over some nasty ground. Or if it is that isolated and a 4 wheeler has to be used, it takes hours to get said carcass and continue the hunt. After helping with 7 critters last week, I found a portable solution that might be feasible.

With straps and a weight capacity not to exceed 500 pounds this would work well for deer and goats, and not be a pita to carry with in a pack or a vehicle. 4 Stout lads could strap a carcass in and whisk it away rather quickly, instead of tagging every 150 meters or so and dragging something up hills, down hills, through the sage etc etc.

What do you folks do across the way?

4 stout lads...... For Christ's sake don't shoot one of them, that kit only takes 500lb.

Well, there goes the stereotype, right down the bog...

I usually do my hunting in late November when the bears are in hibernation and so the only thing I really have to keep a watch out for are the wolves and coyotes. After dressing out the deer I then roughly butcher and put the meat in black plastic bags then into a large rucksack I take out with me.

This method has worked well for me over the years, besides the guts, I usually leave just enough behind to keep the critters ocupied while I get out of the area and back to the four wheeler.

I usually do my hunting in late November when the bears are in hibernation and so the only thing I really have to keep a watch out for are the wolves and coyotes. After dressing out the deer I then roughly butcher and put the meat in black plastic bags then into a large rucksack I take out with me.

This method has worked well for me over the years, besides the guts, I usually leave just enough behind to keep the critters ocupied while I get out of the area and back to the four wheeler.
That sounds like work!

ugly

LE
I have a deer drag, I used to sell them but the little old lady making them retired!
Frankly all of the places here I can drive or ride the quad to, in Scotland thats what the Ghillie does whilst you are drying out and drinking!

I have a deer drag, I used to sell them but the little old lady making them retired!
Frankly all of the places here I can drive or ride the quad to, in Scotland thats what the Ghillie does whilst you are drying out and drinking!
A deer drag for the terrain I hunt wouldn't work for me otherwise I'd look at getting one.

We are not that rich, so a guide is out of the question. Besides the guides out here tend to catch quite a bit of flack from some of their "customers". I could not do it without being tempted to throat punch people.

ugly

LE
We are not that rich, so a guide is out of the question. Besides the guides out here tend to catch quite a bit of flack from some of their "customers". I could not do it without being tempted to throat punch people.
Remember there is no such thing as public land hunting here. This is why the ghillie retrieves the kill. Its the estates property by law and needs to be handled correctly for the food chain.
Here this is what I use if I cant get a vehicle close, anything smaller than fallow gets tied and carried in a roe sack.

Me and a client with a fallow or two;
7662-1450969883-b065fa23c0f65cdeef0e1eaa620464f7.jpg
7672-1450971614-3ff43188f6e4b0c97ea096016aab59de.jpg
7673-1450971867-43fcc237d8dca98b73ba34866e24972f.jpg

This one needed more than manpower:
7674-1450972776-f40f59ed563a4ea3b3556a301b744267.jpg

Remember there is no such thing as public land hunting here. This is why the ghillie retrieves the kill. Its the estates property by law and needs to be handled correctly for the food chain.
Here this is what I use if I cant get a vehicle close, anything smaller than fallow gets tied and carried in a roe sack.

Me and a client with a fallow or two;
This one needed more than manpower:
That looks pretty handy. So the Ghillie does the gralloch as well and the client's don't get to participate in that ritual?

Forgive me for watching your other videos, but the country side is beautiful.

ugly

LE
That looks pretty handy. So the Ghillie does the gralloch as well and the client's don't get to participate in that ritual?
If its your first the Ghillie usually bloods you and lets you think you are helping
Forgive me for watching your other videos, but the country side is beautiful.
Fill your boots we are very green and wet here at the moment.

Latest Threads