Mediterranean communications cables severed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Litotes, Dec 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you are having comms trouble in the Middle East, this may be the reason:

Cables severed....

Edited because I am a mong...
  2. Been struggling here in Port Said for the last few days, but now its good enough for my Sunday ARRSE!
  3. It wont be long before they have a cable ship on station and the cable repaired. If its been hit by a ships anchor its not in the deepest part of the med. There are plenty of other cables which are routed that direction, and agreements between cable owners allow for manual protection of traffic over other cables.

Probably the biggest impact is on call centre traffic heading for the indian sub-continent, fortunately this, in theory, should be a light week for that type of traffic.
  4. I'm surprised no one is suggesting that Bin Laden launched some spear gun-toting frogmen from the Disco Volante to cut through the cables. How far our paranoia has fallen since 2001.

Come to think of it, I should actually be surprised that no one is suggesting that Gordon Brown launched some spear gun-toting frogmen from the Disco Volante to cut through the cables. That's ARRSE 2008.
  5. Cable breaks occur for many reasons, although terrorism hasnt been one of them yet!. Its usuallly fishing trawls or anchors being dragged. Most cable systems are buried (ploughed under the sea bed) until the depth is 1Km, however its not always possible to plough them deep in all areas. I know of one cable in the channel which suffered multiple breaks because it was ploughed into the Goodwin sands, which constantly move. IIRC it costs something like $100K per day to get a repair ship on station to resplice.
  6. Dangerous job this for the French. Difficult to raise a white flag and surrender to a pack of particularly aggressive looking limpets? :D
  7. Nets been all but perfect in my part of the world.
    I used to think it went by cable to a main upload to satellite, well until a Brit Telecoms Engineer out here on detachment from UK put me right over a few beers one night.
  8. My web connection has been sh1te for the best part of 10 days, maybe this is the reason :?
  9. Yep, Satellite is too slow for web applications, it can be done but not very effectively. Subsea intercontinental cables are cheaper and have a longer life. A satellite in geostationary orbit will last up to 15 years, whereas a fiber optic system has a life rating of 25 years. The added benefit of cables is that they are upgradeable, as it is the terminal equipment that dictates the speed of the system, not the cable itself. Satellites are generally fixed bandwidth from the date of manufacture. When built as rings subsea cables have reliability up to 99.9% as the ring configuration allows traffic to be redirected away from any cut section.
  10. Nah. They'll cook and eat the bloody limpets...

11. I thought it was starngely quiet on these boards! :wink:
  12. This interesting article describes how the cable breaks we discussed last year are repaired. It also shows just how much effort is involved in delivering to our computers wherever they are in the world:

Undersea cabling and all that it involves...

However, some of the repair techniques are remarkably low-tech: grappling hooks, anyone?

13. The French are very good at little effort.

I take it there hasn't been excessive Airbus activity in the area recently.