Medieval soldier database

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Seems my lot were archers under the Duke of Gloucester in France in 1417.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Given that my lot are all bogtrotters, we're noticably absent from the database and were probably still scrabbling around in mud and eating berries whilst the stout yeomen of merrie Ingerlund were hacking each other to bits. I think we've made up for it since though.

Given that my lot are all bogtrotters, we're noticably absent from the database and were probably still scrabbling around in mud and eating berries whilst the stout yeomen of merrie Ingerlund were hacking each other to bits. I think we've made up for it since though.

Not likely. Didn't Shakespeare have an Irish soldier as a character in Henry V? One problem of course is that a Paddy in Medieval times wouldn't speak English. Even the English didn't speak English. Your family name could have been recorded as almost anything. Input the given name Patrick and you get an Archer Duffe, two Dirlandes, several Boutillers and a Walche. Duff, Butler and Welsh are common Irish surnames. Even Ireland as a surname isn't unheard of.

Incidentally there are no Coopers but loads of Coupers and Cowpers.

Ditto for me. During the 100 years war, my mick ancestors were in charge of knocking fûck out of the English in Ireland.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Ditto for me. During the 100 years war, my mick ancestors were in charge of knocking fûck out of the Irish in Ireland.

Fixed that for you. :grin:

Ditto, all Archers bar one Master in Arms. In France, Scotland and at sea!!

Nope, I'm a Gordon. Highlander blood from the Banff and Huntly area until they all started moving to the Lowlands in the 1700s.
Interesting one of my Greats was an Ensign in the Enzies Volunteers in Banffshire in 1803. The rest paddled out of Portsoy and Cullen on the spice fleets from the early 1700's.

Latest Threads