Medicine Hatter - ungrateful bastards, or what?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Nobby Sapper, Aug 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On tonights Radio 2 prog "Drivetime" with Simon Mayo, he was intrigued by the name of Alberta town of Medicine hat, and why there were so many British listeners there.
    So curious was he that he invited the towns communications rep, Brandi Somethingorother, onto his show to explain all about it.
    She rambled on all about its size and location, proximity to Banff and Calgary, and all it had to offer, shopping, water park, entertainment etc. She even gave a lame reasoning as to its name.

Not until some listeners rang/emailed in with an explaination the there was Suffield, the British training base, an hour and a half away did it all become apparant to him why there were so many Brit listeners.

Now I know we havn't always been in favour there, but anyone who has drank in the "Sin Bin" ( the Assasinaboia inn, to those who havn't had the pleasure) and drank rounds of pitchers whilst tipping the cabaret act with dollar bills will know, squaddies have contributed to the local economy no end.

Was she so embarrassed by our antics that we didn't deserve a mention on national radio?

2. Perhaps she had met you...or me...out there and wanted to forget the experience....:pale:

She's not the mayor from a few years ago who..errrr...quietend down the town recently?......:\\\\

3. I don't think so, and from her lack of interest of all things sqadiffied I had to wonder if BATUS was still going.

4. ... and then crawling across to the 'Pink Chink' in -20 for spare ribs...

5. Didn't anybody ring up and remind her that we're there as an army of occupation in yet another bit of our Empire?.....:grin:

(and keeping Canadian breweries going!)

6. Strange how the Breweries went on strike every summer for more pay during MM1, 2, 3 etc... Fortunately you can get a sh*t load of handbags in a Beaver.

7. I thought this was going to be a thread about how most of the people in BATUS seem to forget that the only reason they are there is to support the Exercises and are generally a pain in the arse to deal with as exercising troops.

8. I remember the annual brewery strikes well from the time I was stationed in Cold Lake, 6 months or so of yank piss. Fortunately it was only about a half hour or so to Pierceland Saskatchewan and the pub there had a good stock of domestic beers.