Medical Test

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by riflebutt, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, I'm used to these forums so please bear with but yeah, I'm thinking of joining the infantry and I do have very light asthma, it never effets my exercise it is only after I've been training where my throat builds up a large amount of phlegm for roughly 10 minutes then it goes or when i come in contact with dog hair/cat hair. My symptoms are no way strong enough to be consulted for at the local GP therefore soon I will be a full 4 years clear or if I join when I'm 18 a full 6 years clear. I know this will cause trouble at the army medical but what I'm thinking of doing is just putting down I have no asthma and talk to the GP before this to not raise anything over my dead asthma when my army medical form is given to you for check-up. However, if she does raise a fuss about my childhood asthma I'm thinking of saying ''I didn't think I'd need to put it down, it's a very tiny problem and has no effect to me what so ever.
    I'm hoping this will work? Any advice or directions?

I've also known a woman in the Bombardiers who has bad asthma and must take an inhaler before every PTI session yet she is in The Army Cross-Country Team? Is this just the fact she's a woman, or in the Bombariders or what?

Thanks for the effort people.
    Appreciate it loads :)

2. Jamie,

So, after training at your level for 10 minutes, you have a buildup of phlegm? What are you going to be like after training flat out for 1, 2, 4, 6 hours or whatever? Then add a respirator and a lungful of CS gas. Even the fittest of soldiers can suffer from breathing problems under those circumstances and the battle doesn't stop because you can't breathe! I suggest that, if you suffer from asthma, you consult your GP and ask them what they think. You should tell the Army because it will be on your medical documents and your GP will be asked to comment. A "failure to disclose relevant information" will go against you.

And who are the Bombardiers? A pop group?

3. No if I even train for more than an hour or 2 hours trying to fit in as many miles as possible I get a build-up of phlegm after it for like 10 minutes. That's what I meant ;)
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Well it's a novel approach to integrity I suppose.

Do NOT do this. They will contact your GP for your medical history and as Litotes says it will not look good.

Fact of the matter is that any mention of asthma means they will pay closer attention to your chest/lungs than others (personal expeience here) whether you're 4 years clear or 6 years clear.

They may defer you for further spirography tests just to make sure. It may seem that they're doing it to piss you off but they're not; it's to protect you.

Be honest and you won't go far wrong.
  5. integrity

do not lie on your app forms
  6. Riflebutt,

Wake up and smell the coffee!

Have you asked the question " Why are the Army strict about asthma?"

I'll give you a few clues: CS gas, Brecon at 3am on a cold winter morning, Basic Fitness Tests, Combat Fitness Tests, routine training,dust (Afghanistan), dust(Iraq), medication availability in war zones...........

That's just a few. And no point saying "I had it when I was young but it's gone away now" as I am reliably informed by an Occupational Health consultant that 'latent' asthma can manifest itself in the extreme conditions that soldiers are exposed to on a regular basis.

Go ahead. Lie to the doctors if you want to. But, if/when they find out, then your career is on the line. As are the lives of other soldiers if you keel over, unable to breathe properly, on a patrol in Basrah.

Two key points: Firstly the Army relies on honesty and integrity. Covering up at a medical falls short on both. Secondly - the Army don't make up the rules for the hell of it - they are concerned about asthma for a reason.

Tell the truth. Let the experts decide. They have very effective ways of testing for asthma now. If they think you are at risk then remember that, had you covered up that risk, you could have put your life and your colleagues lives in danger.

<jumps off soapbox>
  7. Okay well thanks guys..

I am 4 years clear and I'm going to put down I'm 4 years clear of asthma now aswell, I know I'll be put on the spirography test or whatever it is but my Dad has asthma also but much worse than mine as his wasn't childhood and never left him unlike mine yet, he passed the spirography test at a check up at the doc's

8. If the army are cautious because of your light asthma you can supply the medical wing of the army selection with evidence from your GP that your asthma hasn't bothered you for so long and that it won't get in the way of an infantry career...

Best thing to do is discuss it with your recruitment officer. Thats what i did and he told me everything to do =)

and good luck
  9. would that be on similar lines of other ailments, such as

occasional diabetes

once in a while hepatitis?

If you have a degree of asthma, and you need treatment/medication/inhaler - then you have asthma.

if that is on your med docs, then their is a set period laid down in the PULHHEEMS pamphlet which your application will be deferred for.

once a person joins the army - they are fit and have passed all theinitial assessments medicals etc - then the can become as ill as you like. You cannot compare yourself (ie a civvi) to someone who is serving, as differing standards apply
  10. Basically tell it as it is. I'm a diabetic and all I ever wanted was a career in the forces, which is obviously never to be, but I accept that not only would I be useless as a soldier, due to the constraints of my condition, but also the demands of military service would be bad for the management of my condition. Put down all your medical details and see what they say. Don't try to blag anything, as they can ask to see any previous medical history. The army pays a lot of money to train somebody, so they want to be sure they're getting a viable investment