Medical test gone wrong

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chocolate_frog, Mar 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do any of the 'older and bolder' members of arrse remember the District Routine Orders some years ago looking for volunteers for Porton Down.

If memory serves me correctly the sums being offered were very attractive to a cash strapped private soldier at the time. I did consider it, however the extra limbs and head would be difficult to explain to me mum 8O

I sincerely hope that they are all soon on the road to recovery and a reason is found for this tragic event.

2. Hope they get better soon. Where would medical science be these days if it wasn't for cash strapped nutters like this lot. Just remember that they are all volunteers though.
  3. This is a big worry - the fact the six burly, fit young blokes can be reduced to wrecks in the space of only a couple of hours is very, very unusual. However, as fastmedic has already alluded to, these guys were given a financial incentive, which they no doubt found very attractive, and decided to take the gamble. It's sad that two of these guys are now at death's door - but they knew the risks.
  4. They all knew the risks as disclaimers have to be signed before tests.
  5. Having worked for a major player in the pharma industry and been involved in phase 2-4 roll out of new products I can say that the legal and regulatory bods will have found a way to get out of a potential lawsuit.
    The pharmaceutical industry can afford the best legal minds in the UK.
    I will be watching with much interest at this one.
  6. What is worrying is that the repercussions of this catastrophe may result in others not volunteering for trials in the future and thereby signifiacntly affect the ability for Pharmaceutical Companies to develop and test thier new products.

I wish them well, but they were will be interesting to see if the trail did follow the principles of reasonableness etc.
  7. But then there's still the monkeys and the pigs and the rats. The beagles will have to cut down soon, no smoking in a public laboratory as they sometimes serve food and the rabbits have finally found the perfect shampoo.

There was a facility in NI that used to advertise in the Belfast Telegraph for medical testing, easy money apparently but I think people had troubles enough without growing that third breast and while you're a real hit at parties, try taking the fcukers to court, they've got you stitched up nicely. There's no such thing as easy money.

I remember the part one orders advertising for volunteers, well that was a mistake for a start but volunteers for sneaky beaky NI duties or a week in Porton Down to help cure the common cold. Yes, cure the common cold but with fcuking nerve gas, thanks but no thanks. When you were first told never to volunteer for anything, they meant it.
  8. You pays your money (or in this case you gets paid your money) and you takes your choices (or chances)
  9. Just heard a bottom feeder for one of the families on R2.

Doesn't take 'em long to start circling does it?

Will be interesting to see how any litigation issues go bearing in mind the process such people have to go through before taking part.
  10. Well I don't think they'll have a leg to stand on on that count. They will have made sure everything was signed, the 'i's dotted and the 't's crossed before the tests were started.

That said I'm sure the companies will not cut them loose without medical help and a good out of court compensation lump sum, having made sure that it means no admition of liability of course. As has been pointed out here, they knew the chance they were taking and ignored it only for the chance of some easy money.
  11. I'm sure Porton Down has already contacted them and asked for the recipe to be delivered forthwith :)

Although I see the need for human testing, you have got to be a bit of a tw*t to want to go into a medical test (unless you have a terminal disease and the test is a possible cure) for a few quid when the results are obviously (otherwise they wouldn't be testing it) unknown.

Personally, I think the test was a great success, it proved that it was really fcuking dangerous to take the drug.

The test, IMHO, shouldn't have been run as it was as there were 6 subjects that had the real thing, 2 placebos, and not enough doctors available to take care of the c0ck ups afterwards, but it did produce a successful study result.

Just watch the animal rights whiners kick up now with the argument that the drug was tested on animals first but showed no ill effects, whilst it is now obvious that it shows ill effects in humans, so this one test proves conclusively that animal testing is worthless.
  12. There were reports that numbers of volunteers had actually increased. (Might have something to do with the reports of some bods being paid £1200 for two days of trials.)

Fair play!

13. Did the disclaimers specifically say "CAUTION-THIS MEDICATION MAY LEAVE YOU LOOKING LIKE JOHN MERRICK AFTER A PARTICULARLY BAD WASP ATTACK"? If not, the ambulance chasers will have a field day.