Medical Support Officer

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by RJM, Oct 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RJM

RJM Swinger

I am wondering what information you lot can offer on the role of Medical Support Officer, the description online is rather brief and I was wondering if I could get some more "hands on" information on it.

Thanks in advance.
  2. General Dogs Bodies, normally used as welfare officers or any other job that is not strictly medically related from my experience
  3. RJM

RJM Swinger

Alright Cheers mate.
  4. Do a search been discussed at length, good promotion prospects, good job when you leave but a crap job.
  5. Oh really? How many Medical Regiments and Field Hospitals are commanded by MSOs?

Who are Comd Med 1 (UK) Armd Div, D Med Plans at AMD, DComd 2 Med Bde & Col AMS Div?

I suggest you engage brain before responding.
  6. DE MSO will start life as a troopy somewhere. Then prospects for command appointments is generally good. My 2i/c is DE and as is my OC.

LE officers get the push jobs like welfare, RCMO etc unless they convert to DE. A spell as a staff officer will serve well for sub unit or even regtl comd
  7. I am guessing that all the above are MSOs? and dare say that they started their careers as the Dogs body Officer i.e troopy, Welfare, Training Officer and progressed to a position of command. Normally the only thing Medical about an MSO is the M in MSO. I would even go so far as to say those MSOs that are in a command position are in Admin roles and not in roles that are Medical like Doctors/Nurses or Consultants etc.

Therefore I stand by my original post. Please feel free to get back on your high horse and trot on
  8. Of course - they're not medically qualified. What did you expect?

From what I hear, it's a good job to get in to in terms of promotion prospects. Although I also hear that most of the candidates at Sandhurst who go for it are somewhat of an embarrassment, constantly injured/backtermed (this may be an exaggeration).
  9. Not usually a first choice at sandhurst for RAMC but I suppose the others get there fair share of biffs.

The latest intake of troopies we have seem ok
  10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

You're either bored or monumentally stupid. More likely a combination of both with a light dusting of chippy AHP thrown in. Either way, you quite clearly have no understanding of a Regimental system so I suggest you keep those stabilisers on your trike for a little while longer, you're a long way off graduating to riding a horse.
  11. Just short of 18 years with 15 of those being in a "Regimental System" so have a fairly good idea of what an MSO is thanks, Administrative Officers not Medical, they may hold command and staff positions but again these are Admin roles and not those of medical personnel which is the point in my previous thread, my first comment/post whilst not entirely sarcastic does have a sprinkling of truth to it.

Oh and as a side snippet those AHP that fail to get a commission in their own trade and gain commission as a MSO are no longer in a medical role, they are in a Medical Unit with a medical background but they are still admin officers, you can sugar coat it all you want but it is the reality of the job.

Sorry if this offends your glorified perception of the MSO.
  12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

18 years? Crow. Do you use a ruler to write capitals with as well?
  13. Where does 'medical' begin and end? Medicine is a continuum of care with wider J1 and J4 interfaces. Is a Biomedical Scientist delivering a medical ora technical effect? A job or effect that may seem non-medical to you, may well contribute to medical effect. If MSOs aren't medical why are they
    afforded protected status under the GC?

The John Boyd Vikings thought that plating out MSUs and servicing the haematology and clinical chemistry analysers were dogsbody jobs; so we can all have an opinion on the relative merits of each other's employment. Personally I couldn't wait to get out of the lab...
    • Like Like x 1