medical stuff

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by straggler, Aug 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I recently got turned down by the TA due to back problems I've suffered in the past. I'm appealing this decision with help from my GP but, realistically, what are the chances of this being looked at objectively?

I fully undersatnd why I got a "no" in the first place - back problems can be serious and it's easy to just reject my application than go through the hassle of looking into it further but I've had a treatment on my back (prolotherapy) which is very, very effective and I've had no problems at all for the past three years.

I run, cycle, play sport and am probably healthier than when I was a regular sometime in the last century.

Just want to know if I'm banging my head against a brick wall.....

Thanks.

2. msr

msr LE

The only people who can answer this are those who are looking at your appeal....

3. Are appeals actually worth bothering with? Just wondering whether they have to give a right of appeal to follow the rules but it's pretty much a done deal once they've rejected an application. Anyone out there won an appeal?

4. I've recently won an appeal. I recieved a letter saying that the psoriasis I've had in the past could be a problem and that I'd have to wait 5 years. The day i recieved the letter I got down to my GP asked him to confirm with Glencorse doctors that I have had the condition but that would not effect me on that day (Friday) I sent the letter out with recorded delivery. I then got a call on the Tuesday afterwards saying I was good to go.

It's worth a try appealing ecspecially if you have medical records and your gp's word to back you up.

Edit : You can also appeal a failed appeal :)

5. Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear that appeals can be worth it.

MY GP is being very helpful and I'm seeing him in a couple of weeks (I'm working abroad at the moment, which makes things a bit complicated) hoping to get a letter from him. I worded my medical form badly in the first place as I didn't know my previous back injury would be an issue so, hopefully, I should be in with a shout.

6. I was the same I simply put down the condition I had when I first found out I had it, they musy be doing a lot of applications daily so I wouldn't be suprised if they just checked for the name of a condition and sent out a generic letter.

7. Check this out, hope it helps

TA Regulations

Chapter 5 - Terms of Service of Soldiers

5.072. Medical Boards. A full medical board, conducted under the terms of
    PULHEEMS Administrative Pamphlet 2000, Appendix 4, and requested through the President of Permanent
    Standing Medical Boards (SMB), is to be held on all applicants who are in receipt of a disability pension of 20 per cent
    or more, from whatever source, or who were discharged from former service on medical grounds.
    a. All previous medical documents are to be made available to the board who, after completion, are to record their
    finding on F Med 19 and then forward documents and findings to the convening officer for approval.
    b. On completion of the medical examination or board, as the case may be, all medical documents and AFB203 are
    to be passed to the Comd Med at Div/Dist HQ for a ruling. If an applicant is accepted for service, the unit is
    then to submit the documents, with the other enlistment documents, to the officer in charge of TA & Res MCM
    Div for approval.
    5.073. Below Medical Standard.
    a. Applicants who on examination do not conform to the medical standards laid down in para 5.068 and 5.070 may be treated as special enlistments provided that they are fit to undergo training and that service will not cause any disability. Details of proposed employment, medical documents and AF B 203 and the reason for wishing to enlist the soldier in spite of low medical category are to be submitted to the Comd Med at Div/Dist HQ for a ruling. If an applicant is accepted for service, documents are to be disposed as in sub para 5.072b.
    b. Should the Comd Med recommend acceptance, he is to endorse F Med 1 and F Med 19 ‘Special enlistment’ and note any employing restrictions.

Give us a shout if you need anymore details, I'll see what I can get ya.

8. Saw my doctor last week and he's writing a letter to support my appeal. Not sure how long they take considering appeals but will hear from them soon, hopefully.

I only saw my GP twice about my back so he's saying it was a minor, non-ongoing condition. The annoying thing is, if I'd put this on my medical form in the first place it wouldn't have been an issue.

9. Saw my doctor last week and he's writing a letter to support my appeal. Not sure how long they take considering appeals but will hear from them soon, hopefully.

I only saw my GP twice about my back so he's saying it was a minor, non-ongoing condition. The annoying thing is, if I'd put this on my medical form in the first place it wouldn't have been an issue.

10. Saw my doctor last week and he's writing a letter to support my appeal. Not sure how long they take considering appeals but will hear from them soon, hopefully.

11. Say it again, Sam.

12. Just heard that my appeal has been successful! Thanks for all the advice.