medical students refuse to learn alcohol or std diseases

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ukdaytona, Oct 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If the Daily Wail is to be believed, it would now appear that our Muslim Trainee drs are now choosing what illnesses they will or will not learn to treat.....

Muslim medical students are refusing to learn about alcohol-related illnesses and sexually-transmitted diseases because they say it goes against their religious beliefs.

And a small number are even refusing to examine patients of the opposite sex because they say it is forbidden by the Koran.

The General Medical Council and the British Medical Association both say they have heard of cases of trainee doctors having religious objections.

If you want to learn to be a Doctor in Britain then you learn to deal with all possible illnesses and all parts of the community - otherwise please feel free to leave this Country and go elsewhere
  2. Mag to grid.
  3. If they don't want to deal with the whole community then the answer is painfully simple, go and get your training in a country where the illnesses you feel you can't handle don't exist. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would gladly take your place on the Uni course.
  4. Bang goes the Hippocratic Oath then.
  5. No modern doctor swear to the hippocratic oath anymore anyway.

But this is abhorrent. Hopefully, the GMC and the NHS will do the right thing (in the event of wilful non-compliance - refusal to allow registration, termination of course, and demand for reumbursement of course fees)

Edit: Oh wait. Its the daily hate. :oops:
  6. Notwithstanding the oath, surely they cannot qualify as doctors if they don't complete the syllabus.

Bit like expecting to cpmplete basic but opting out of drill and NBC.
  7. Referring to a similar topic, why hasn't anyone yet asked not to handle pig meat at the supermarket checkout? And what should they be told if they do?

Alcohol, pork, cow meat... the list is extensive. All perfectly acceptable in the UK, but all out of bounds for certain religious groups.

How far do we go in accommodating their beliefs?
  8. I reckon they should refuse to treat RTAs cos there's no cars in the bible or koran. There are no electrocutions either, no diabetics in the bible, no place crashes. I don't remember any caesarian sections, any housefires. What exactly do they want to treat!
  9. Other muslims?
  10. My God tells me to help people regardless of who they are; in fact, the bigger an arrsehole someone is, the more they need to be cared for. I am sure that a great many Muslim doctors feel the same way but those who don't may like to consider if they are (a) in the right profession and (b) on the right continent.
  11. The answer is that they have. Muslims have refused to have anything to do with alcohol at supermarket checkouts. Of course they can't be sacked because they have human rights; so, how many supermarket checkout girls does it take to check through a bottle of scotch? Pork is on ly a matter of time and by the time this is read - if ever - will have happened.
  12. OK, it's from the Daily Hate, so I'm going to take this with the requisite truck-load of salt, but let's say a God botherer is on a paleontology course and can't deal with evolution... they fail the course, nice and simple.

Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
  13. They'll probably end up as MO's.
  14. Speaking as a God botherer myself... I have to say that I agree with you.
  15. Back in the dim 'n' distant when I started at college, the head of the department came into the lab on the first day to have a wee chat.

Studying the assembled spotty mass, with their brand new labcoats gleaming, he said "this course involves animal dissection. If you can't accept this or will not do this, you will not pass, and need to rethink your course choice immediately".

Fairly simple Ja? Of course this was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away*

*(Okay, 1990 and North Wales)