Medical standards for recruitment - advice needed

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by millhouse41, Aug 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some Advice required please.

My nephew, aged 18 and about to go to University in
    September, has set his heart on joining the army as an officer afterwards.

However, two weeks ago he suffered two fits or seizures on the same day, one at home and one in A&E. Kept in overnight, and subjected to a series of tests and scans, the doctors told him that they were unable to identify any cause and to go away and get on with his life. He has had no previous history of any such event.

A visit to a consultant the next week produced much the same advice but included a ban on driving a car for one year AND not to consider going into the Armed Forces or the Police.

This last bit has devastated him.

I would like to know what the relevant medical standards for recruitment to the Army are and whether there is any automatic ban for seizures even if unexplained.

Any advice, or reference to the appriat rules would be welcomed.

2. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

There are certain things that the Army gets quite excited about when it comes to medical assessments; one of them is asthma (or any respiratory disorder) and the other are fits/seizures of any kind. Ordinarily, the Army will insist on any individual being fit-free for ten years before being considered for military service. Quite simply, your nephew doesn't stand a chance of getting into the Army now or until he is at least 28 - providing he remains symptom free.

3. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. My son has ADHD, and is on slow release Ritalin for the condition. Does this preclude him from selection?

4. The chart I just read, as I was checking for something else the other day, was that if you've had a single fit / seizure in the last five years then that would preclude you from joining, beyond five years and you're okay. If you've had more than one fit / seizure since the age of five then that would also preclude you from joining. If your nephew did have two seizures then it doesn't sound promising but he should go down to the local recruiting office anyway and get proper medical advice from them.

5. Again from the chart I've just read, if he has ongoing treatment for ADHD then that would prevent him from joining, he would need to be symptom free and treatment free for at least three years.

6. Thanks TB. I did tell him that it would probably affect his chances.

DG