Medical & Smoking!!!

I posted a few days ago about being interested in joining and i have my first interview on monday so i thought i would start doing a bit more training for selection (if all goes to plan) i just have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1: What sort of things are on the med questionnaire the doc has to fill in, is it only extreme things that will stop my entry.

2:Do you have to do any breathing or eye tests etc.

3: Will smoking seriously affect my chances of passing selection or coping within the army?

Georgee said:
I posted a few days ago about being interested in joining and i have my first interview on monday so i thought i would start doing a bit more training for selection (if all goes to plan) i just have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1: What sort of things are on the med questionnaire the doc has to fill in, is it only extreme things that will stop my entry.

2:Do you have to do any breathing or eye tests etc.

3: Will smoking seriously affect my chances of passing selection or coping within the army?
Breathing is a good idea. Don't try stopping- this will have serious consequences on you joining. :D

Seriously, just go for the medical. If you are fit enough - good, if not - they will let you know.

well you gotta get a colour blind test, like read numbers that are different colour shapes, and read the lil letters of a board about 15 foot away. then you gotta show them the maximum capacity your lungs can hold / breath out in one go.

as for smoking, it wont stop you entering, but you must still be as fit as everyone else.

Is it a good idea to book an appointment witht he doctors and actually be there when they fill it in? I was just worried that smoking may prevent me from being fit enough thats all! Wasnt sure how many people actually smoke who are in the army

Georgee said:
Is it a good idea to book an appointment witht he doctors and actually be there when they fill it in? I was just worried that smoking may prevent me from being fit enough thats all! Wasnt sure how many people actually smoke who are in the army
smoking tobacco is not good for you, but wont be a show stopper!

smoking weed on the other hand is a show stopper :thumbdown:

When I took my medical ( a long time ago), the doctor lifted my testicles up with a pencil.
I failed the medical and was sent to Aldershot for a further exam. Not because of my unfeasibly large testicles, just my hearing and yes, that was it, any notion of an army career was over. I should have aspired to be an airsofter rather than a soldier.

well wen i contacted my doc, they requested i went down, as the booklet they fill in requires you fil in some if i remember correctly. anyways, stay active, get fit and smoking shouldnt be too much of a setback.

except ur breath will stink lol

Go for the med, but expect a finger with gloves on up ure ring, and make sure its not boxing or cricket gloves - it hurts more.

BT

I just had my medical up the RSC 2 days ago and they didnt put there fingers anyway near my ring :sweatdrop: . But they did look at my balls and tell me to cough. If you wear glasses/contacts just get a prescription off your optician and you don't have to do the eye test. But you do need to have good lung capacity, I don't smoke and I just scraped through.

DH

whats that?? and what happens if you do have bad eyes is that it failed!!! Go di am getting worried now something is going to go wrong!! I havent even had first interview yet and i am sh1ttin myself!

Georgee said:
whats that?? and what happens if you do have bad eyes is that it failed!!! Go di am getting worried now something is going to go wrong!! I havent even had first interview yet and i am sh1ttin myself!
If you can see with or without the aid of glasses you will be ok.
If you can tell red from green you will be ok.
If you can walk without pain you will be ok.

Basically if you are able to live. Have no discernable ailments and can pass the phys you will be ok. As for smoking up untill 2 years ago I was a 20+ a day man, I gave up 6 years after joining.

So bottom line is, you will be ok unless you have been diagnosed with any resperatory deseases etc.

Now stop being such a poof and get on with your life. :shakefist:

personally i think that if you get the medical out of the way you have a good 80% chance of passing,,, one of the biggest ways of failing the medical is for heart murmours and if you drink fizzy pop or energy drinks before you go to selection this can show the effects of heart murmours, another way of getting the affects of a heart murmour is by beeing nervous but personally dont think that one is true as i was very nervous during my medical because people told me not to be nervous because it gives the affects of heart murmours and i breezed it, the medical side of things are relatively easy to be honest this is what i had to do for my medical:
drop and cough lol
15 press ups
10 sit ups
spirometry test (only if youve had to use a enhaler before)
read of a letter board with right eye covered (vise verser)
say what the numbers are in a book (this is the colourblind test)
walk on my tip toes accross the room
walk on heels of feet accross the room
walk on side of my feet accross the room
blow into a tube as hard as possible
hearing test
checked for heart murmor
and a number of stretches

sounds alot but it isnt really, nothing to worry about, as soon as the medical is over you start to enjoy yourself, and if you are still there on the second day youve basically passed (well that was what i was told and it was true)

what RSC are you going to, i did mine at lichfield

good luck !!!

dont worry about any interviews at the careers office. my recruiter was a good bloke, had a laugh with him. he drove me to the TA centre, where a group of ppl were on a 6 MONTH army prep course, to do my run, waited for me and drove me back into town. and they dont take it as serious as you may think when you go down.

think of it like the dentist... you dreading it all day, then when youve finished you realise that it wasnt bad at all. good luck on entry