Medical Science has got it wrong---Sheik Nazim knows best

Sheik Nazim wrote a medical (ha ha) treatise in 1989 (1409 Islamic calender) that seems to be about right for the 15th century. Here are some entries that might interest you {Don't try this at home}:

Heart problems in general
Put a medium sized onion in a tin with hot ashes and heat on a fire until the onion is roasted. Eat first thing in the morning. Repeat for 40 days. This is also a healing method for cleaning up the body after many years of smoking.

Herpes
Drink a glass of turunge juice (wild oranges) or grapefruit juice every morning for 10 days.

Haemorrhoids

Chew 10-12 juniper berries first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else. Then drink a glass of water. Repeat for 15 days. If you don't have any teeth, then crush the berries before taking.

Malaria
Take a big spoon of fluid quinine every day and cover the head with a cloth drenched in vinegar.

Knee pain
Massage either with mustard oil or kerosene mixed with olive oil into the knee for 15 minutes every night. Then cover it with pure wool and leave overnight. Repeat for 15 nights.

Sadly Sheik Nazim passed away last year in Nicosia at the ripe old age of 92.
Would you have reported sick to him for medical advice?

Sorry Harry, this is in no way Homeopathy. Homeopathy is a 'treatment' based on the use of highly diluted substances, which practitioners claim can cause the body to heal itself.

Sounds like the same sort of crazy idiots in Africa who think that the way to get rid of HIV/AIDS is to have sex with a virgin.

Sheik Nazim wrote a medical (ha ha) treatise in 1989 (1409 Islamic calender) that seems to be about right for the 15th century. Here are some entries that might interest you {Don't try this at home}:

Heart problems in general
Put a medium sized onion in a tin with hot ashes and heat on a fire until the onion is roasted. Eat first thing in the morning. Repeat for 40 days. This is also a healing method for cleaning up the body after many years of smoking.

Herpes
Drink a glass of turunge juice (wild oranges) or grapefruit juice every morning for 10 days.

Haemorrhoids

Chew 10-12 juniper berries first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else. Then drink a glass of water. Repeat for 15 days. If you don't have any teeth, then crush the berries before taking.

Malaria
Take a big spoon of fluid quinine every day and cover the head with a cloth drenched in vinegar.

Knee pain
Massage either with mustard oil or kerosene mixed with olive oil into the knee for 15 minutes every night. Then cover it with pure wool and leave overnight. Repeat for 15 nights.

Sadly Sheik Nazim passed away last year in Nicosia at the ripe old age of 92.
Would you have reported sick to him for medical advice?
I am going to be a right little tinker here.

Onions have been shown to lower the cholesterol levels in blood.
Citrus juice is a proven cure for herpes simple virus.
Hemorrhoids are another annoying problem that juniper berry oil can help with.
Quinine is a well known treatment for Malaria (Gin and tonic anyone?)
The knee bit just sounds like an early version of algapan and tubigrip.

Seems the good Sheik might not be such a loon after all.

Last edited:

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
He missed out "and try to run it off" in the Knee Pain section.

Quinine for malaria sounds about right. The mustard one for knee pain might offer some relief too.
Mustard oil is "warming" a bit like a Deep Heat style muscle rub isn't it? I think it's one of the oils, along with either menthol or eucalyptus in a "massage balm" I was given years ago that was quite good for tired muscles and mildly strained joints.
Half the benefit though is just from giving the affected area a good massage and increasing blood flow - which is helped by keeping the area warm - just before rest and elevation.
Not sure about the kerosene though.

The worst you can say about those treatments is that they have been superseded by more effective methods.

This was meant to be a rant against those daft, backward muslims, stop with the logic, will you!!

Sorry, not detecting any serious quackery here. Most of these sound like the type of home cures that were common in the UK prior to the advent of the NHS and free access to GPs. I remember my old Gran sticking my sniffly five-year-old head under a towel and over a basin of some hot water infusion to clear my sinuses.

Sorry, not detecting any serious quackery here. Most of these sound like the type of home cures that were common in the UK prior to the advent of the NHS and free access to GPs. I remember my old Gran sticking my sniffly five-year-old head under a towel and over a basin of some hot water infusion to clear my sinuses.
Probably Friar's Balsam - used to clear my snot a treat (and it seemed to be thicker and greener in those days). However my mother said that, when she was a young bride, she decided to bake an angel cake for father. Unfortunately she unwittingly added several drops of Friar's Balsam instead of vanilla essence and was duly mortified!

I'd like to the the crystal that can fix this, in fact anything to take the pain away would be great!

Its smarting a bit!
Have you tried the latest crystal therapy?

That should sort you out in no time.

Latest Threads