medical requirements on joining

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by tigerbaby, Sep 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently in the process of applying as a DEPO for the TA, seem to be able to find detailed info on most entry requirements apart from medical. Can anyone shed some light on what the requirements actually are? I asked when I had my visit but they just said it was pretty flexible and there were no set 'rules' unless you had a serious illness for example.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

2. No no's to joining include Asthma in last four years, diabetes, are big no no's. Colour blindness and eyesight are tested, also bloodpressure.

These are the normal things that alot of people fail on especially the asthma and colour blindness, also alot fail for being overweight (although i dont think that will affect you)

hope this helps someone might be able to give a fuller answer but the medical is a piece of piss
  3. Any kind of mental illness is also a no no I believe, not entirely sure but I think any recurring injury that might be on your civi records such as, bad back, knees and other joints. But unless they are bad you can normally blag your way through.
  4. Hi Tigerbaby.

I'm applying as a DETAPO too at LDRTC and haven't yet had the medical.

Can applicants actually fail on colour blindness? Doesn't it depend on which Regiment / Corps / Trades people join?

Obviously REME, bomb disposal, etc are a no no.

I recently read that Prince William wanted to join the Para Regt after RMAS, but couldn't because he is colour blind - specifically he has a red-green defficiency which I believe is quite common amongst males.

For this reason I believe he'll be joining his already commissioned younger brother's regiment instead.

I've put out a post on this subject already, and there doesn't yet seem to be a definitive directive this. I know there are many of us who would like to see one.
  5. Thanks for the input, just wondered if there was a set requirement since I couldn't find one in black and white.

Cheers again :)
  6. edited to remove a whole chunk of irrelevant annecdote.

As far as the Dr who did my medical was concerned it was less black and white and more about convincing the MO or GP that Army service does not present a significant risk to your health.
  7. If you're worried about colour-blindness, try this online test:
  8. TB there are some conditions qhich will count people out across the board (as already mentioned.) Then there are those which are specific to the Arm, Service or indeed Regt / Bn you wish to Join.

For example a certain level of corrected eyesight might get you into one unit, but not another. That said, there is always the ability to put the individual forward for consideration as an exception. The OC of the unit concerned would have to countersign the statement.

Best Of British. :)
  9. Perhaps that's the opposite of clour blindness.... Hyperchromopsia?

10. TA_sig - said "As far as the Dr who did my medical"

WoW - David Tennant did your medical !!! :D :D

Was he visiting the planet or just seconded for a while?
  11. Wonder about depression? I had it before I joined the TA but was clear for a couple of years. Just after I left I had a touch of it again (severe personal probs going on at the time) but it didn't last too long and have been clear of anything like that for 4 years now. Wonder if that would affect me either rejoining my old unit or going RNR (am considering that).

12. There are guidelines to mental (small m) health issues and recruitment existing, and I will ask someone who I know is closely involved to contribute , or at least point in the right direction for more info Stab.

13. :D :D :D

I'm not clour, I mean colour blind.
  14. thanks for all the info this has cleared alot of questions on joing the TA.