Medical Rejection

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by crazybrit82, Dec 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I was wondering if some one could shed some light on this issue.

My Army application, as expected, was rejected on medical grounds. After posting and reading previous threads I wasn’t too surprised. I’ve heard unofficially the stance is you need to be off anti depressants for 2 years. How ever, my letter of rejection from the Medical Wing, ADSC Pirbright states thus:

‘The reason for the rejection of your application on medical grounds is due to your history of depressive symptoms lasting 6 months or more which ended in June 2005.’

‘Unfortunately, such a history is incompatible with enlistment as our experience has shown that individuals with such histories do not fare well when faced with the demands and stresses of service life and often go on to develop further problems which we would not wish to expose you to.’

Ok, I’m not some emo razor blade junkie, I was on the medication after a sudden fatality in my family and the subsequent loss of my business. I don’t believe I was on them for 6 months, that I’ll have to check with my doctor, I’m sure it was Feb 05- June 05. Judging from this letter, I find it hard to believe that, hearing unofficially, I can re-apply in 6 months time. This letter sounds very final to me :( . Can any one enlighten me please?

It would be extremely appreciated.
  2. Im sorry to hear that mate.
    It seems this scenario is a bit of a grey area. For what my opinion is worth, I think you should do all you can to appeal against this.

Go and see your doc and see what, if anything, they can do.

If you really want it, which I expect you do, fight for it.

I hope someone here can shed a little light for you.

Best of luck.

3. Two points CrazyB.

1) I was in Iraq with a young lad who had been on anti-depressants in the past. After a few months of pressure, he went tilt on us and had to be sent home. In the end he was medically discharged from the Army. I really do not want to see that again. It sound like that you might predisposed to depression when the chips are down. Sounds pretty fair that your application to join has been turned down.

2) The letter you received said you were rejected due to your history of depressive symptoms lasting 6 months or more . This refers to the length of your depression, no the length of time that you were on medication. If you were on medication from Feb to Jun, I would suggest that your depression began some time before that as it is unlikely that medication was administered as soon as you became unwell.
  4. Well thanks so far, I get what your saying Interceptor, Im not like I said the depressive type but guess its not worth the risk, from the Armys perspective, if its happened once before :roll:
  5. i believe from the recruiters on the phone tha i was rejected on medical grounds when i went to see my gp in 2011 about stress. i didt take any medication or require follow up was rejected??

i hope i can appeal.
  6. Speak to your local ACIO.
    We cant help you here but they can.
  7. thanks

i know people do suffer with serious mental conditons and i feels for them but i was bit stressed and never took anything or self harmed. think they may just reject on a broad spectrum and then possibly assess you on a personal basis based on the appeal process.