Medical rejection

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by USER13579, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Medical rejection due to being prescirbed citalopram for 2 months after a life threating illness of my mother in 2011. have appealed their decision and sent along a a doctors medical note to ensure full recover has been made. what do you think my chances are?
  2. You have come to the wrong place to ask for advice. Go to your careers office and ask, ask if there is any possibility. On here you are only going to get answers from ******* who have no idea what they are talking about. (Including me).

Also I can't remember but I think there is something in the rules about having to show repeat or prolonged mental illness - whether two months is prolonged is up the the army.

As a final note - do you really want to be joining the army now? Everyone I know who is still a regular feels like the army is only going downhill and wouldn't have signed up if they knew it is going to be how it is.
  3. haha cheers! ill see how the appeal goes..
  4. Yeah that was my thoughts.. i know people with harp on about "if you cant cope with death then the army isnt for you" etc etc but conditions are slightly different. i never had any history before, Im perfectly well, physically and mentally lol, and to be honest i think it takes the bigger man sometimes to admit when ya need a bit of help!
  5. Like I said - this isn't the place to get real advice. All you are going to get is internet ******* chirping up telling you your a ****.

Your recruiter will give you decent advice. They have to tell you what options are open for you. They have access to the latest info and will sort you out if they can.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I'm not sure I understand. Am I correct in saying that your mum suffered a life threatening illness, during which you suffered mental health problems that required treatment with citalopram?

If that is the case, then the Armed Forces are not for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Citalopram is frequently used off-label to treat anxiety, panic disorder, PMDD, body dysmorphic disorder and OCD.
    Citalopram has been found to greatly reduce the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy and premature ejaculation.
    There is also evidence that citalopram may be effective in the treatment of post-stroke pathological crying.

If it's for your ejaculation problem then get your doctor to write on your behalf.
    If it's for any of the other symptoms then you may well have to be clear for 5 years.
    But as it's approved treatment of the symptoms of major depression you may well be unfit for the military.
  8. Why have you posted in 'officer recruiting'?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Deal with it, the Army isn't that great anyway there's much more noble and better paid things to do!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Whoever reviewed your medical screening form (RG8) should send you a copy of the relevant policy along with instructions on how to appeal the decision. You are best advised to follow the instructions given there.

Just to reiterate for some of the other posters in this thread, there is zero tolerance of negative, snarky internet tough-guy postings in the officer recruiting forum: we are trying to encourage young people to give it a go, not convince them that the army is staffed by intolerant, pedantic *******.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.