Medical rejection - Appeal question

Resung

Clanker
I used to be in the TA a few years back but left for personal reasons. I've been attempting to rejoin since October last year and got a medical rejection letter through in May without telling me why. I appealed it and it gave me a list of 4 things i'd put down on my medical - head injury, major fracture, knee pain, and sprained ankle. The head injury was being knocked out 10 years ago, the major fracture was a broken arm when i was a kid 20+ years ago, the sprained ankle was over 8 years ago, and the knee pain was just me getting fitted for orthotics because i developed ITBS at one point. Minor stuff i would have thought, but they've asked me to get a letter from the Dr confirming i have no long term issues from this.
Off i went to the Drs and asked them if they would write the letter, but the Dr tells me instead what they usually do is release my full medical history to the army and charge me £25 for the pleasure. I'm not a big fan of having my private details released without need, or being charged money for it, so can i just get them to write the letter revealing the info they asked for or do i have to give access to my full medical history?

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to be in the TA a few years back but left for personal reasons. I've been attempting to rejoin since October last year and got a medical rejection letter through in May without telling me why. I appealed it and it gave me a list of 4 things i'd put down on my medical - head injury, major fracture, knee pain, and sprained ankle. The head injury was being knocked out 10 years ago, the major fracture was a broken arm when i was a kid 20+ years ago, the sprained ankle was over 8 years ago, and the knee pain was just me getting fitted for orthotics because i developed ITBS at one point. Minor stuff i would have thought, but they've asked me to get a letter from the Dr confirming i have no long term issues from this.
Off i went to the Drs and asked them if they would write the letter, but the Dr tells me instead what they usually do is release my full medical history to the army and charge me £25 for the pleasure. I'm not a big fan of having my private details released without need, or being charged money for it, so can i just get them to write the letter revealing the info they asked for or do i have to give access to my full medical history?

If that is what your doctors do then it is their prerogative and I don't think you will change their mind but you can try. As for having to pay for this, it is normal practise now and any applicant that is told further info is required has to foot the bill themselves.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
the army will get a copy of the NHS records about you at some point if you continue. its all treated somewhat confidentially

Cromlech

Old-Salt
I'm just waiting to attest and one thing they require for me to progress is access to my medical files. So why not save time and let the Army have them early.

Latest Threads