Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Medical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanThom10

Swinger
Hi gents, ive got my medical at westbury in a little over 2 weeks, and just wondered what the protocol is regarding what to wear?

The joining instructions say smart casual. I always just assumed I'd wear a suit for any time I go to Westbury, but this has thrown me off.

What's the general principle? No loud colours are a given I'd assume. And a blazer? A jumper? Help a guy out please!

Also, on a complete side note but don't want to make a bunch of threads, I've had my CV template through, and unfortunately I never used to be the most developed of individuals, and so outside of fitness training and 5-a-side football I never really had sporting achievements, how much of a big deal are these on the cv? As part of the weaknesses section I was gonna say my history, or lack of it more like, as only in the last year really have I pushed myself to become suitable for the forces in any capacity.

Cheers

Serious answer.Smart casual indeed. Clothes which are easily removed and put back on again are fine. The clothing should be clean too , btw as should you - so a shower when you get up in the morning of the exam is a good idea. There are people who don't shower every day believe it or not. No Doc likes a nasty smell in this situation-and not smelling of drink from the night before ,which won't help your blood pressure either when it gets measured the next morning.

I went back in August last year suited and booted, however I was the only one to do so. Others were in chinos and shirts and one individual did look a state in ripped and dirty jeans.
I don't think our attire would of changed the outcome and in hindsight I would of worn chinos and a shirt. Like "Pvivax" said, its not good etiquette to be grungy when you see the medic.

For all of your visits thereafter hopefully will be smart attire

I don't know how much emphasis they place on the CV, personally mine was quite strong with work related stuff since university. There were others who had experience pulling pints in a pub, and had little more sporting experience than going to the gym who still passed. If you're a genuine person who has interests and a depth of character that extends beyond hanging out with mates and watching Netflix you will be fine. We can't all be Olympians, Nobel prize winners and musical maestros.

In my opinion, if I were in your situation I would try to get involved with voluntary work or work experience as the recruitment process is quite long it gives ample opportunity to expand that CV. I think it's admirable for you to recognise these areas of weakness and be willing to work on them and I'm sure they will spot that too.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice, medical all went well and hoping to complete Briefing soon. wish I'd responded sooner as I really appreciate the tips!

In regards to the CV, I am working in the USA over the summer at a summer camp so am helping this will bolster my experience considerably for main board.

I'm also attending a Sandhurst Insight Day in April, where you watch the parade, get to tour the grounds and get to talk to current cadets. On the invite it said do you wish to bring a parent or partner and initially I put no as I'm an older applicant and am happy to go it alone, however thinking on it I can't tell whether the majority of applicants would bring a parent with them or not?

Of course I'd like my dad to see the academy and the course etc but similarly don't want to seem like a melt bringing a parent along when all the other lads would be on there own.

Any advice on that?

sometimes a condition not previously detected, sometimes a condition that was deliberately hidden. Occasionally we used to bin people who had arrived at training, lied about a condition that wasn't a bar to entry but as they were utter (rude word deleted) they were binned for the lying element.

sometimes a condition not previously detected, sometimes a condition that was deliberately hidden. Occasionally we used to bin people who had arrived at training, lied about a condition that wasn't a bar to entry but as they were utter (rude word deleted) they were binned for the lying element.

Okay but I was genuinely damaged, Did not lie. Is it a waste of time reapplying?

Status
Not open for further replies.