Medical question

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Starswift, Jun 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I am currently attempting to join the TA but I used to have a bit of depression during my teenage years. However I am now fully recovered. Will this prevent me from joining?
  2. With the doom and gloom in here some are spreading, you will fit right in :p
  3. A question similar to this was asked before, I recall someone saying that they had suffered depression over 7 years ago, however had one incident of self harm and as a result failed their medical.

Although my advice would be to go ahead and attempt it, recently a guy who was ex TA and wanting to rejoin with my unit went for a medical and failed because he suffered a spinal injury when he was 3, even though he had previously passed a medical only a matter of years before and servid with another unit for a while under the same circumstances...which leads me to think it's not really black and white as to what's acceptable and what's not.

All the best!
  4. I think there is something on the regular joinging forum about this. There is something in JPA detailing it. If I remember correctly you have to be free from any symptoms and medication for two years before you can join up. Also talk to your GP and get a letter from them stating that you're fine now (if you are!). But go along to the unit you want to join and talk to them about it.

Medical issues before joining