Medical - Previous Depression and S8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Firstly, I know this has come up on numerous threads which I have searched through and read. So apologies for another similar thread which no doubt will touch on similar comment/situations made by others. However, I wanted to see if things have changed or if depression is being evaluated in closer detail than in previous years.

The background is I tried to sign up for the reserves around 3/4 years ago when I was suffering from depression and at the time only had just got off medication. I had the doctor at the time (I was in a different location) complete the medical questionnaire and I received an S8 grade rejection at the time.

Now I am not going to bore anyone with a sob story of my life, but fundamentally I believe my depression previously was routed in a missing purpose in life. To which I felt life in the reserves would give me.

I am now starting the process of applying again for the reserves, as while I know it isn't an exhaustive list, depression and/or anxiety are not listed on the medical exclusions anymore on the careers site. Now I am going to of course be truthful in my application, to which I have been depression and med free for 2 years now.

My concern, however, is my medical records. Due to moving around a lot post-university (nearly every year), I fear my previous depression on my medical records will indicate multiple episodes. However, this isn't the case as it has been a continuous episode. I have looked at ' LEAFLET 6-7-4 ANNEX L - PSYCHIATRY - PRE ENTRY' and noted it states;

"A history of 3 episodes or more is indicative of excessive vulnerability (the best predictor of the future course of an individual with a history of depression is the number of previous episodes). Thus, candidates with a history of 3 or more episodes should be graded S8."

What is peoples advice and if possible others experience in situations like this?

Apply

fail

put in appeal with evidence of moving etc

wait for answer

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are medical appeals known for being a wasted effort? or are they seriously considered, taking into account the evidence before making an informed decision?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are medical appeals known for being a wasted effort? or are they seriously considered, taking into account the evidence before making an informed decision?
They are taken seriously, of course you can increase your chances of it being read in full if you follow some basic common sense 'rules'

Stick to facts
Brevity
Add Evidence

Well it's good you ask as many on Arrse are RCGP & RCPhys trained these days.:eek:

But It was 5 years clear, on no medication and no hospital detention in the 5 years.
But it would be best for you to ask you're local Reserve Unit who might give you a better answer.
You might well have to be seen by a Doctor to assess you mental wellbeing now and in the future.
But only then will you get the answer?

Good luck, but past mental health issues are taken very seriously these days to protect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.