Medical pension/compensation ???

Hi there pay type peeps.

Hopefully someone can enlighten me here.

Background info. I have served +22 years, WO1 and still in for foreseeable future. My various injuries incurred while serving are beginning to get a bit more troublesome in my old age. I have knackered knees, two crushed vertebra, the old eyesight and hearing are fading fast. I was medically downgraded some years ago after knee surgery (no cartilage left) but this has never affected either the ability to do my job or to go on Ops/Exs (I've done my share). As a result I've had a full (and mostly happy) career but I feel it is probably time to get out and do some real work.

My questions are

As I have served a full term and will leave with an immediate pension etc, am i entitled to anything for my injuries ?

If so, who decides it and how do i go about it ?

I thought that med pensions were instead of normal pensions, am I wrong (as usual) ?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not the type to trip in Burger king (much better than Mac D) and then claim a gazillion pounds. However; the more I reflect on 26 odd years service, the non fault military RTA's, the Regt/Corps sporting injuries, the crap boots etc etc the more i think I should be slightly fitter in my early 40s and not a near cripple.

Any help/thoughts appreciated, slaggings included (I've undoubtedly heard worse).
Agree with Steven..............make sure that your med history is fully documented and take copies where possible.
I, like you and many others of a Certain Age, took lumbs and bumps and left after 29 years with some bits missing and some not functioning as they should.
Point to note: the onus of proof has now changed. YOU have to prove that injuries were attributable.
Also RBL are invaluable.
The day you are discharged, having made sure that all your problems are noted on your Final Medical, write to the Veterans Agency explaining how and where you are damaged by service. They will send for your Medical Records, a board will sit assess you and if over 20% disabled grant you a pension if under a lump sum.
There are some other elements to getting a War Disablement pension. When you have your final medical mention every last ache and pain especially if you have had any treatment or gone sick with it right back to the day you enlisted

When you submit your application list all of your aches and pains and the limiting effects they have on your life

When you go for your medical it will normally be done at the same medical centre that caters for the Disability Living Allowance and Incapacity Benefit medicals. The doctor who does it will not be familiar with military terms and jargon so put anything you say in laymans terms. During the medical they will check the mobility level of your joints and spine etc and your strength levels ie pushing against the Docs hands. Get up early so that the stiffness and pain that onsets during the day normally is with you when you are at the medical. Answers and description of pain etc should reflect how you are on the worst occasions as this is your actual level of disability at its worst.

At the end of the medical you should be asked if you want to add anything to the Doctors report. If this is done verbally you may forget something very relevant so during the period before the medical jot down all the problems you have and then type them up into a report. Ask that this is included as what you want to add. The medical is supposed to ascertain your limitations but a good report by you can give the information the board needs to give you a disability level that actually reflects your level not just the 30 min check over at the medical centre. Remember to include any pain killers you take even if these are not perscrition ones.
As you mention that your knees and spine are damaged, does this give you pain when trying to walk, does it limit the distance you can walk or do you need a stick. This should be mentioned as not only might you get awarded a pension in respect of your disability level but you may be entitled after the initial award to the mobility supplement. There are two other main supplements. Unemployability supplement if you cannot work at all and a reduced employment supplement where your disability reduces the type ofwork you can do compared with that which you would be able to as able bodied. remember to include any pain killers you take even if these are not perscrition ones

This may sound like you are playing the social security system but you are not. These allowances and supplements form part of the pension package for which you have paid for 22 years plus and you are entitled to them.

I may be corrected but as far as I am aware if you are on the old immediate pension scheme then the onus is on the MOD to prove that your injures did not occur in service. The new system of burden of prooof only applies to the new pension scheme I believe.

If you are in receipt of a War Pension and you work them remember that the pension does not count inrespect of getting tax credits, the same if your wife was working and claiming credits.

Hope this helps.

A great question, which has recieved some great replies, this have given me a massive heads up, i also have some injuries which limit what i can do and had never given a thought to trying to claim any sort of pension, also didn't think i would be entitled, the only one i had really heard of was the payment they were rumoured to pay out for using rifles before they issued proper ear defence, the old plastic aradillo's.

i am going to print this and the relevant links out and put it inmy resettlement folder which i have justy started.



Similar threads

Latest Threads