Medical Officer Bursary or the Reserves

Stickface1

Swinger
I will be starting medical school this September which means I am reaching the point when I have to decide between whether I spend the 6 years of medical school either in the reserves or in the UOTC along with a 75 grand bursary. Of course, both come with their advantages and drawbacks, however, what it comes down to is whether the 6 years of experience and training I can get in the reserves is worth giving up such a huge financial support which could essentially pay off my entire tuition fee with some remaining or at least give a very good financial start in life. This is why I'm looking for advice, I do not want to find myself regretting either decision because of lack of knowledge and lack of proper consideration of either option.
Also before anyone mentions these, I am aware of the obvious extra time commitment that being in the reserves is alongside medical school and I have heard that the UOTC is essentially like an after school club and nothing similar to being in the military so I know to take these into account already.
I'm looking for advice here so feel free to let your opinions fly and since my personal bias is leaning toward the reserves it may be helpful to play devils advocate here in order to help consider both options.

I will be starting medical school this September which means I am reaching the point when I have to decide between whether I spend the 6 years of medical school either in the reserves or in the UOTC along with a 75 grand bursary. Of course, both come with their advantages and drawbacks, however, what it comes down to is whether the 6 years of experience and training I can get in the reserves is worth giving up such a huge financial support which could essentially pay off my entire tuition fee with some remaining or at least give a very good financial start in life. This is why I'm looking for advice, I do not want to find myself regretting either decision because of lack of knowledge and lack of proper consideration of either option.
Also before anyone mentions these, I am aware of the obvious extra time commitment that being in the reserves is alongside medical school and I have heard that the UOTC is essentially like an after school club and nothing similar to being in the military so I know to take these into account already.
I'm looking for advice here so feel free to let your opinions fly and since my personal bias is leaning toward the reserves it may be helpful to play devils advocate here in order to help consider both options.
1) UOTC has changed a lot since most on here had anything to do with them. I am currently attached to one as part of the instructor team. They are (and have been for a while) part of Sandburg group and no longer drinking clubs for students. They deliver phase 1 training and initial officer training to a high and enforced standard (we failed a number of people this year, when I was an OCDT everyone passed..)

2) don't be daft. Take the bursary. If you go UOTC and commission into the reserves (I recommend it) you can then do work as a commander with a commission and still get the bursary.

If you want to chat PM me.

I would note that joining up means sacrificing a fair amount of choice in things like F1/2 location, specialty training choice, as well as delaying your entry to CT1...

Stickface1

Swinger
I would note that joining up means sacrificing a fair amount of choice in things like F1/2 location, specialty training choice, as well as delaying your entry to CT1...
I think you misunderstand the question, joining the military has been what I've intended long before wanting to become a doctor so whether to become a medical officer or not was never in the question, although I do understand that it comes with disadvantages in terms of my medical career. I was asking more about the best route to take into this career while at university, but thank you for advice anyway.

In that case, take the bursary.

JSPrest

Old-Salt
Olafthered is correct. The best place to pursue a commission is the UOTC.

There is little the Reserves can offer you that the UOTC cannot. Indeed as a medical student the reserves can do little with you until you have reached a certain point in your academic career.

Get in touch with your local UOTC (or the one for the Uni you are hoping to attend) and get some personal advice, or feel free to PM me. I work at one!

Olafthered is correct. The best place to pursue a commission is the UOTC.

There is little the Reserves can offer you that the UOTC cannot. Indeed as a medical student the reserves can do little with you until you have reached a certain point in your academic career.

Get in touch with your local UOTC (or the one for the Uni you are hoping to attend) and get some personal advice, or feel free to PM me. I work at one!
I am in conversation via PM, as I am also part of the Borg...

Latest Threads