Medical lessons from the Falklands War

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Heartbreaklane, Aug 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings, can anyone recommend any reading in this area?

In terms of lessons learned and applied? From first aid, right through to surgical.

Cheers.

2. If memory serves me correctly it saw that first use of **** Intubation (?)

3. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

"The Red & Green Life Machine: a diary of the Falklands field hospital" by Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly would be a very good place to start.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rehydration / fluid volume via rectal / lower abdominal infusion
    (a tube up yo' bum in other words)

Falklands Para doctor started it. Referenced in John Nichols book:
    'Medic: Saving Lives - From Dunkirk to Afghanistan'

Had the utter privilege of meeting all these people at the book launch a few years back. JN is a member here too - great bloke:)

5. I would concur with that, excellent read and the final chapter(s) talks about the mental after effects.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Another excellent read is:- "Three Days in June" - 3 Para Mount Longdon by James O'Connell

Covers a fair bit of medical process.

7. AFAIK one of the reasons this technique originated was because of NI bomb disposal operators. If an operator was injured he (no women back then) would still be wearing the suit, unable to cut the arms or legs of said suit the most accessible place was the arse as the trousers were worn like a pair of chaps and a back apron covered the arse like a fish tail jacket.

The latest suit has special areas to cut to be able to get to limbs as operators now wear a Kevlar nappy!

8. Strange, the bloke who took us for first aid lessons last time I went through Chilwell claimed that he had pioneered the tube up the jacksie technique during a firefight down in the Falklands.
    He definitely wasn't a doctor or an EOD operator

Sent via Crayola, using the red crayon

9. Unless the bloke who taught you, was a doctor in early 20th century then he did not pioneer rectal infusion.

10. Cheers all, some great suggestions here, my Amazon account has just taken a big hit!

11. Did it hurt? Are you sure it was a Medic inserting his tube? Just saying. ;)

• Like Like x 1