Medical in confidence

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by ruby_murry, Nov 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :? A serious query here - would appreciate constuctive responses. A buddy of mine (member of the AMS) was admitted to the A&E of the same MDHU they also happen to work at - the problem is, apparently an inaccurate and potentially damaging 'provisional' diagnosis was passed up from someone in A&E to my buddy's chain of command without their knowledge and it now seems there are other people who have heard of this damaging and untrue info (how many???) - I think this is a gross case of breach of medical-in-confidence and regardless of my friends now confirmed diagnosis and prognosis, could severely impact on their future career as shit sticks! Any advice I can offer to my buddy guys??????

edited to prevent chances of buddy being idenitifed - it's a small world in the AMS!
  2. Yep, make a Formal complaint.
  3. It is bit of a dodgy situation! The difficult thing is the whole moral courage thing - it is potentially shit-hit-the-fan material, and sadly the misinformation (we suspect) may have come from one of our military colleagues as the civvies seem to be pretty hot on the med-in-confidence thing (not to say that our guys are not, but when faced with a senior colleague digging around for med info - who can 100% say that a less senior rank wouldn't give in to pressure!)

We have also obserevd how medical / nursing peeps clam up when you mention med-in-confidence - 2 of the people whom my buddy heard from about this initial dodgy info being passed on inappropriately immediately backtracked as soon as my friend expressed concerns about a breach of med-in-confidence.

Basically, had my friend not been diagnosed otherwise - then they could have potentially faced disciplinary action over the initial 'misinformation' -

My friend has now had to tell more people than is their business about the correct diagnosis in order to allay any rumours about the misinformation seemingly going around.

Has anybody else had experience of a similar scenario???

As military personnel, are we entitled to any less med-in-confidence?

(apologies for the wordy thread reply - edited for typos)
  4. Not as far as I am aware. The ethics of passing on information without consent is difficult; there are times when it is required, times when it is ethically justified, but mostly it isn't.

5. Thanks FF.

Fair comment (my bezzer had already considered those issues), but surely it would be fair to say that had my mate not been posted to the same hospital they were admitted to then any info about the admission would have gone via correct channels (eg, via the SMO at my mate's med centre) and then the SMO could have made professional judgement if my mate's unit and chain of command needed to be notified of the gory details! Incidentally, my buddy was off duty (days off) when admitted to A&E.

By the way - there are probably some of you peeps out there thinking it is inappropriate that I am asking about this issue on behalf of someone else and in this forum - but I feel my mate would benefit from a variety of anonymous unbiased advice before considering any knee-jerk reactions (please donate useful opinions generously!)

PS - FF - how's your running / fitness going? (have read some of your other threads - ignore the donuts with the clever non-constructive comments! - good luck!) :D
  6. Even then, the medical officer should have encouraged the patient himself to inform the appropriate authority. If the patient refused, or it was so important that it needed to be passed on independently (e.g., if he'd had an epileptic fit and was a driver in the RLC), then the doctor should have informed the patient that he (the doctor) was obliged to inform the authorities.

Whether or not he was on duty at the time is probably irrelevant (unless he was alledged to have been involved in some salacious behaviour unbecoming a soldier - if that's the case, it is less damaging if he was off-duty. Unless, of course, he's an officer, when it is just as bad, as his commission isn't part time even if his commitment is!).

Getting better, slowly. Can pass 1/3 of the PFT now - press-ups are OK. More than 30 sit-ups is impossible. Run time much better (11:45), but still too slow. Cheers.

7. I have had a little Op and when i gave my Sgt Maj my sick form he asked how it had gone.

to start with i just said ok, so he asked is ? now better. i said it wasnt that.

So he said oh, what was it then, after he pushed I told him, on my understanding that it was in his closed office between us.

I now have lower ranks asking me about my Op.

I only told One person, my Sgt Maj. there is no Med Cof in this bloody Job.
  8. Not with the Sgt Maj there isn't.
    • Like Like x 1