MEDICAL- How many ex Chieftain crew have developed

#1
I am interested in how many ex Chieftain crew have gone on to develop Bladder or Testicular Cancer. The civilian motor trade has paid out hundreds of thousands in out of court settlements because of mineral oil contamination. (Mineral oil is a known carcinogen, has been since the 50's).
I may be the only one, but i doubt it! anyone else out there?
 
#2
T31B said:
I am interested in how many ex Chieftain crew have gone on to develop Bladder or Testicular Cancer. The civilian motor trade has paid out hundreds of thousands in out of court settlements because of mineral oil contamination. (Mineral oil is a known carcinogen, has been since the 50's).
I may be the only one, but i doubt it! anyone else out there?
Ber* Hamm*nd, as well when we were in Hemer, got diagnosed on FTX & whisked straight back to UK. Fully fit now, I think, but it stuffed him on promotion boards, why :?
 

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
#3
We has an RMO in 15/19H in the late 70s - early 80s used to go off on one if we wore baggy green skin with only shreddies underneath because of the added protection another layer of green denim gave to the nads.

And when he caught a mate of mine wiping his oily hands clean on the only clean piece of denim (over his stots) after some particularly messy engine work, he gave him a right mouthful - if you'll pardon my expression.

I guess this thread gives me a valid excuse to sit in the office and grope me nads.
 
#4
AlienFTM said:
I guess this thread gives me a valid excuse to sit in the office and grope me nads.
So, no change there then.
 
#5
This is a new one on me. It couldn't just be us Chieftain men who'd be affected? Surely everyone who worked in the same filthy conditions, since the day tanks first appeared, would have been potential victims yet I've never heard of it?
 
#6
Surely it would have been not only RAC but a REME health problem, and the only thing ive heard was people getting skin rashes, but never anything about Cancer or the dangers of contracting it, my mate works in a civvy garage and he has never heard of this, certainly not about any pay outs???
 
#8
vandyke said:
On all my D&M courses, Ch, CR & CR2 we were warned of the carcinogenic properties of mineral oil, I still check my balls regularly :)
In the early 90's as an A mech I got quite a lot of warts on my fingers, this was put down to working on Chieftain by the SMO. Saying that the same SMO gave me brufen and tubigrip for a broken ankle aswell.
 
#9
The_IRON said:
vandyke said:
On all my D&M courses, Ch, CR & CR2 we were warned of the carcinogenic properties of mineral oil, I still check my balls regularly :)
In the early 90's as an A mech I got quite a lot of warts on my fingers, this was put down to working on Chieftain by the SMO. Saying that the same SMO gave me brufen and tubigrip for a broken ankle aswell.
Warts I can understand, rashes, scabies, impetigo, all the usual stuff. I just haven't heard of a cancer risk before.
 
#10
do a google search for "mineral oils carcinogenic" that will give you all the info. Or those still serving ask for the safety data sheets for your oils.
 
#12
I recall getting issued a couple of extra pairs of black covies in the eighties; we were told that it was to allow us to wear clean ones every day. The danger of testicular cancer from wearing oily gear was stated as the reason. Seemingly gravity carries the nasties to the sac area.
 
#13
If it was gravity, surely it would be the toes not your sac, and as testicular cancer is so high, in people generally who have no contact with motor oils, how can it be proved that oil has caused it???

Not knocking it, but would like to see more details about this
 
#14
If you kept putting new covvies on every day you wouldn't have been able to move your arms by Friday.

Our answer was simpler. Wash, and wash your covvies. Everyone had four pairs. If you washed them all on Saturday there was no excuse for having dirty ones the next week.
 
#16
GDav said:
If you kept putting new covvies on every day you wouldn't have been able to move your arms by Friday.

Our answer was simpler. Wash, and wash your covvies. Everyone had four pairs. If you washed them all on Saturday there was no excuse for having dirty ones the next week.
See what you mean- look at the bloke who works for michelin

Its a battle to try and get my young lads to put clean covvies on-having to constantly remind them all the time. Some think that if they wear the same old covvies it makes them look like they work.
 
#18
Well...laying under a dead cheiftain..trying to get that damned cover off..oil dripping everwhere..mostly over me..mixed in with the OM15 (red stuff)from the useless hydraulics..and the OM13( clear stuff) from the leakey steering and brake system,,followed up by 25 years as a Cat heavy diesel tech..both Conkers present and accounted for ..Sir!,
Its true that Petro Chemicals present a clear problem for the human bod..but its mosty from sensitization IE oil becomes like mustard gas,Havent heard much about testicular cancer..however..being a health and safety rep ive got a huge database to look into..gimme a few days and ill have a poke around
Dingers
 
#19
Some interesting comments in this thread, cos I remember hearing about the mineral oil/testicular cancer thing all those years ago in my forensic medicine classes.

Hmmm, could be a class action coming on....?
 
#20
Warned about this on RE Plant courses early 90's.It was one of the driving reasons for oil changing being done on result of oil sampling/analysis rather than because the AESP? said change oil every six months (or every full moon-I forget)
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top