Medical History

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ossie1701, Jul 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,
    Ok, well here's the situation - I am 18 years old, and considering a career in the army as an officer (after I have completed university), yet, I have what could be said to be a rather dodgy medical history. At the moment I am currently of above average fitness and have no medical complaints what so ever, and have been this way for about six years, yet, have prior to this suffered from a host of medical ailments - from a Kidney being removed shortly after birth, a broken ankle aged 4 (fully healed - can run miles on it with no complaint) and finally, aged 12 (and, no less on the eve of the millenium) suffered from a mild form rather strange disease (Guillen Barre Syndrome, limits mobility in the lower limbs) which once again, I fully recovered from and am assured that the likelyhood of me recontracting it is as extremely unlikely.

Now, will these previous problems mean that I will be automatically rejected - seeing as I am extremely fit at the moment (and should be three years down the line)?

*Also, sorry for the long post, I changed GP's Surgery two years ago, and - I found this rather amusing at the time, all the notes of all the above were lost - i.e. they have/had no clue about any of the aforementioned.

So, will this have a negative effect on my application in a few years?

Cheers.

2. No, but if you were a horse they would shoot you

3. Seriously - I don't doubt it!
    If all this reincarnation stuff is true - I must have been bloody Adolf Hitler in a past life.

4. The one kidney might be a bit of a stopper though, as your likely to ruin the other one on pims and g&ts, id suggest forgetting about being an Officer and joining the less unhibited mortals, as this will cheer them up no end, when they hear all your medical problems :D , you'll get a nickname on day one rather than waiting for a year at Sandhurst

5. Keep stum and crack on

Your liver will go first

6. Ossie1701

slightly off topic butj ust interested in how badly effected you were by Guillaine Barre Syndrome and how you recovered.

I got it in Hong Kong about 8 years ago and have never come across anyone else who had it. I was told that there were less than 10 cases a year in the UK so there are not many of us around. I had a fairly bad case and spent a year with pretty much total paralysis and for the first months was breathing through a tracheotomy and being fed through a tube. Like you I am one of the lucky ones who have had a pretty full recovery just limited feeling in my fingers and limited range of movement in my feet. Took 3 years to get back to doing reasonable strength and muscular endurance training. Flexibility and running have been harder, I have running shoes designed for under pronation but still run very flat footed and have had to get use to layoffs from occasional shin splints and a couple of stress fractures. I try to do most of my Cardio training on bikes, step machines or rowing machines, but really want to run half marathon before I reach 50 (18 months to go).

7. Hi there,
    Well I was bed-riddent with GB syndrome for roughly a month (say, from the 10th of December 1999 - 10th of January 2000) and was taken into hospital on the 31st of December 1999. I was lucky as I got a mild form (because I was young?) and it only affected the legs, but I walked (extremely slowly, I might add) out of Hospital on the tenth. I would say by April I had made a full recovery, possibly with improved fitness to my state before I caught it!* I did, for a while lose reflexes in my knees and ankles, but now both have come back. Didn't have any medication prescribed, I think this was because they were not sure what the cause was at the time (I had two MRI scans, blood taken etc. etc.) and it was only confirmed by a lumbar puncture. The doctors were expecting it to progress to the upper body - thankfully it didn't.

*According to a consultant at Guy's Hospital, it also 'boosted' my immune system, in that, when I went to get my BCG done, I was already immune, yet there was no explanation - other than something related to the GB syndrome.

8. Thanks

Not a fun experience is it. As I understand in GB your immune system goes into overdrive and produces loads of antibodies some of which start to attack your own nerves. As you say there is a plus side to a heightened immune sytem (as well as the pretty severe downside). There is not really any treatment they can provide for GB itself (except in some cases to filter the excessive antibodies out of the blood if your body isn't managing to do so itself).

That really is a fast recovery. Being young may have had something to do with it but I suspect attitude and your obvious determination to get back to fitness were at least as important. Good on you and best of luck with the application.

9. Cheers - best of health to you as well. And good luck with the half marathon!

10. I dont see how medical history can affect thier decision in any way possible if your fit now. I had an incident involving me and a tree and a 40 foot drop, in hospital bed for a week, 3 months in a wheelchair, 2 months of physio and crutches. And that was only 4 years ago, admittedly the doc at my ADSC was a bit twitchy but i have full range of movement and fine fitness etc so i passed. SO i see no reason why you shouldnt.
    I wouldna worry, good luck matey.