Medical - Hearing

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by gubby07, Jan 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum so bear with me.

Ive sent my CV and Medical forms off to the Briefing office and im waiting on my date for my 2 day briefing. However, i received a letter regarding my medical forms. I had to have a few hearing tests when i was younger and they came back with a minor loss in each ear. However, this hasnt affected me in school or my social life and have never needed a hearing aid.

On the letter it says "Hearing Problems - We would like to discuss this with you when you come to AOSB. Do not leave the Briefing without coming to the medical centre"

Should i be overly worried by this? Cant imagine what i would do if i was refused entry based on something that isnt a major problem for me. Will they perform a hearing test?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate the help.

2. I know they don't do hearing tests as standard at briefing but they do at main board (Everyone has hearing tests). They probably just want to find out the range and effects of your hearing loss. There is a forum with the medical requirements and information.

Good luck with it though.

3. Thanks very much. I searched the forum and found some valuable information. Its just the only thing im worried about and wouldnt want to fail entry based on something so anoying!

4. I failed my first hearing test at Main Board.

Couldn't believe it. It does'nt set you off well.

5. I remember my hearing test at main board there was a whole bunch of people in the room next door making loads of noise laughing and stuff (which I was involved in for the 10 minutes previous to my test), but still managed to to pass somehow. Still not ideal testing conditions, when I went for AAC selection tests it was far better controlled and regulated.

Either way I wish I wasn't as noisy for the others taking the tests before me... sorry!!!

6. TheEnd - What happened when you failed your first hearing test? I thought if you failed, thats it. Finito. Am i wrong?
    Thanks for the reponses by the way.

7. If you fail a general hearing test, they should firstly check for wax in your ears and remove any found, then there should be a recheck in proper clinical conditions (eg audio booth). If still problem, then formal ENT assessment required and that is final decider on whether loss is compatible with military service.

Hope all goes well for you, but the bottom line is not how well you live with the hearing loss, but what the Army thinks of it.

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

If you have a hearing problem, you have a hearing problem. Don't wet your pants now: wait until it's been checked out at the Westbury medical centre. They are trying to pass you, not fail you.

9. Just don't say "Pardon" when they ask you how your hearing is!

10. If I can pass, anyone can..I am as deaf as they come!..lol. Even at 43 I passed :)

Seriously though, its is the "range" they are interested in...so, if you can hear low frequency no problems, but struggle with high frequency, then thats not so much of an issue as if you could not hear either end of the scale.

Or so I believe :)

Go to your doctors, get your ears syringed before your hearing test and you should be fine :)