medical forms

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bruffy11, Nov 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi is sent my medical forms away and now they have sent something back asking for a blood test to see if i have high cholesterol, im only 17 and do lots of running and i aint fat!never have been!is it even possible i might have high colesterol?
  2. Does it run in your family?
  3. my dad has it,but thats it.
  4. well they are probably checking as it could be inherited.

and yes, its completely possible for you to have it.
  5. what happens if i do??
  6. I don't think you can get in with high cholesterol.
  7. Watch your diet mate
  8. People with highcholeroloe generally have tend to have a dispostion to it from what i have read. If you ate the right food and exercised even with a dispostion towards high cholerstral you could get it in the normal range.
  9. i had a blood test taken today, if i have high cholesterol will that mean i can never join the army??
  10. AFAIK cholestrol levels respond quickly to changes in diet so if it IS high I can imagine that they will probably just defer you and check again. But dont worry about it, you probably dont have it.. your dad has it, but hes probably around 45-50 years old and isnt as active as you and doesnt eat as well as you do.. (sorry if hes a 35 year old lean machine) so it is likely to be environmental not hereditary.

11. Try living on veg, soya beans and rice for a few weeks.

Lots of exercise can up your HDL levels and make your total cholesterol seem high. It is the LDL which is dangerous. You could at least get it split (if they haven't done so) to see what the LDL level is.
  12. ok thanks for all your help,should get results of test by end of this week anyway :) cheers
  13. just letin you all know i got my blood test results and its fine :) thanks for all your help!