Medical for female recruits

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by melaniemacdonald_uk, Mar 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i'm in the process of joining up and i wondered what to expect during the medical?

2. When I did it, the MO said turn your head to the left and cough.

3. When he says touch your toes just try to relax!

4. They normally do a breast examination then insert a thermometer up your front hole to see if you're hot(easy) or not. Then they decide if you pass or not. If you get a male nurse you are lucky a female thats not a lesbo then bad luck. Hope that helps.....

Adon

5. thought the training wing was supposed to be a serious forum. all these naafi bar answers aren't exactly encouraging for a new recruit :)

6. The medical will start with a basic screening. This will involve measuring your height and weight, eye test including colour vision, hearing test and breathing test. Those individuals who are heavier than predicted will have further testing performed to ensure that you are muscularly built rather than fat.

The doctor will confirm your medical history and ask you to undress down to your underwear. A chaperone will be made available during your medical examination if requested. This is normally a member of the ADSC medical centre. A female chaperone routinely accompanies any female applicants who is examined by a male doctor.

The doctor will carry out an extensive examination including an assessment of your joints and muscles. You will be asked to perform functional tests such as hopping, jumping, squats and press-ups to ensure that you are medically fit for arduous training. Male applicants will have their scrotum checked to ensure that they do not have a hernia or testicular swelling that requires investigation. This is because that significant scrotal swelling can cause pain and discomfort if performing a large amount of physical exercise and therefore such conditions need to be treated before starting training.

Female applicants may have a breast examination as part of the medical and no applicant will have an internal examination of any form. There is no requirement for blood tests or vaccinations during this medical. However, you may have to go for further tests or investigations if anything significant is found during your medical.

Recruits are expected to have an adequate level of dental health. There is no dental inspection at ADSC, although some individuals with very poor dental health may be deferred at their medical until they have received adequate treatment

7. But you ain't my Dad so on yer bike.

Mate, what I said was an honest account of my lifetime experience.

8. Hi, thanks for the replies, some helpful and some not so. Blues_cav your reply mentioned that some females may have a breast examination, do you know why they do that with some? And what percentage of the female recruits get a breast examination?
    Just wondering if i'd be in line to get one during my medical?

9. Hi, thanks for the replies, some helpful and some not so. Blues_cav your reply mentioned that some females may have a breast examination, do you know why they do that with some? And what percentage of the female recruits get a breast examination?
    Just wondering if i'd be in line to get one during my medical?

10. I think it might depend on your age, medical and family history. If your GP writes something that they want to check out then you might have one. Be prepared for the hopping about thing though, I thought the Dr was joking when she asked me to do it!! They are very professional and pretty quick though. Remember you are just one of hundreds they will see & they won't remember a thing about you.

11. Don't do it if they ask you to do nude bunny-hops

12. If I was the doc I would make breast examinations compulsory. With jogging on the spot. And custard. Then I'd jolly well got my John Thomas out, followed rapidly by a trip to the cells.

Probably not helpful but I feel better for it.

13. and where's that MDN bloke when you need him

14. It is based on age and on any points raised by your GP which may give our Dr concerns.

15. you seem very sure :)